Solar Panels for the home - school me - why isn't everyone doing it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
So far I have been approached weekly to install solar panels on my home. My next door neighbors have them. They say it is an investment to pay the solar company loan at a fixed rate of 4.99% for 25 years instead of the power company more money for power every year.

The solar loan is transferrable to the new owners if we decide to sell the house, and the value added to the house is around $32K. There is a 30% federal tax credit on the cost of the loan which you can extend up to five years.

They try not to over-engineer the solar energy produced and you are selling back to the POCO in the form of energy credits. This Net Metering, essentially spins the meter backward when you are producing power. At night, and on overcast days you are using these credits. Also, at the end of the year, the installing company looks at our electric bill and writes us a check for any electricity bill we had to pay over what we didn't produce. If the solar company under-engineers the system, they will add panels as necessary to get to the equilibrium point at no cost to me. The tier 1 panels are guaranteed for 25 years from the manufacturer, and then an additional 25 years from the installing company. So a 50-year free replacement parts and labor? What's not to like?

Of course, we still have the electric bill hook-up charge per month, and the probability the electric bill is going to go up at least 30% in the next couple of years. I have a great big southern exposure with no trees to contend with so that is not an issue.

This last company even wants to add 20 inches of attic insulation at no additional cost. The salesman said this before even asking what insulation we had. He said that is just part of their way of doing business. I know I'm paying for it in the loan but DAMN, that is nice, because we have been thinking about it anyway.

The total monthly loan payment is $50 less than our level pay which you know is going up. Essentially, I'm locked in at that payment for 25 years and no penalty for early payoff. You can even take the tax credits and apply them to the loan.

My wifey is dragging her feet because
1) We own our home with no payments and she hates payments.
2) We do not know anything about solar panels, or solar panel manufacturing companies, or the installing company, (which has an A+ rating with the BBB).

We have been scammed before with an in-ground tornado shelter that was installed and immediately inverted itself when it rained pushing back out of the ground.
The company went out of business and $1,500 later, we had a tornado dog house instead of an underground shelter.

School me please. What are the pros and cons of home solar?

BallisticGuy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Is there any type of battery bank offered, or is a grid tie system only? If it does have a battery bank are the individual cells replaceable or is the entire bank worthless? I’m all for solar, I just have no faith in battery technology yet to spend a crazy amount. Most of the systems I have seen have a 10yr warranty on the battery bank with a 70% loss of storage capacity, and all I see is a 7-10k replacement in 12 years. The warranty, and how long the company will be around are two different things as there are a lot of these companies floating around.

We use solar on small projects, and our travel travel with a 600ah battery bank, but nothing close to 6-10kw self sustaining systems.

Last edited:

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont like the new Green Energy scam and that is Solar. Big Tax credit mean its costing us all.
The ROI is forever also.
Scam, if it was solid, everyone would be doing it.
I have a buddy that started his own Solar company and hes getting filthy rich on overpriced contracts. He has told me more than I ever knew about this industry and how he got in at the right time with Biden and he basically sets the price.
Makes me want to vomit.

mtnboomr

Questionable Character
Special Hen
Reaction score
Usually when something sounds too good to be true........................................it is.

Solar is one of those things. While it will produce electricity, it rarely produces on the scale the companies say it will. Because the "stats" they quote are usually from systems on the equator.

The systems can be finicky and unreliable. A bad hailstorm will destroy the panels. And many home insurance companies won't insure your roof with the panels attached to them.

But your milage may vary.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Best thing I have done is Renewal by Anderson windows and a back sliding door. So much more sound proof as well as temperature control. And Quality windows bring 65% of their cost back in the sale of the house. 20 year warranty on the Argon gas inside the glass pack. No other window company does this.
Just got em before winter and my heating was night and day. I'm curious to see summer results.
A tiny tax break on them also but that was not a factor for me.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Every time I look into solar, the upfront costs are high, and the payback is low.
I literally calculated 20-30 years ROI - and that's assuming no problems.

Your contractor has installed other 'similar-sized' systems. Ask for references and addresses, knock on their door, ask for differences in electric bills or real-world KW-hr generation per month.

1) Get a straight cash quote.
2) Get real-world KWh generation numbers.
3) Calculate the ROI.
The loan % only hurts the payback.

If the 'numbers' work and you want it, then do it.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Is there any type of battery bank offered, or is a grid tie system only? If it does have a battery bank are the individual cells replaceable or is the entire bank worthless? I’m all for solar, I just have no faith in battery technology yet to spend a crazy amount. Most of the systems I have seen have a 10yr warranty on the battery bank with a 70% loss of storage capacity, and all I see is a 7-10k replacement in 12 years. The warranty, and how long the company will be around are two different things as there are a lot of these companies floating around.

We use solar on small projects, and our travel travel with a 600ah battery bank, but nothing close to 6-10kw self sustaining systems.
No battery bank. Each cell has an inverter and is monitored by me. If any underperform, they replace them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom