Solar Panels for the home - school me - why isn't everyone doing it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Best thing I have done is Renewal by Anderson windows and a back sliding door. So much more sound proof as well as temperature control. And Quality windows bring 65% of their cost back in the sale of the house. 20 year warranty on the Argon gas inside the glass pack. No other window company does this.
Just got em before winter and my heating was night and day. I'm curious to see summer results.
A tiny tax break on them also but that was not a factor for me.

I hate to tell you but you over paid for those windows.

The windows are great, Andersen 100 series fibrex, seriously some very good windows.

But Renewal charges 2-3 times what the windows actually costs.

I sell windows, a lot of windows, a lady I used to work with came in the store one day and she came over to say hello, in our chat she mentioned she was having new windows installed of course I had to ask who was doing the work and what kind, and how much.

She said renewal and andersen and $55,000. I said please tell me you have not paid them, she said she was paying the the next day,

I said here let me quote you the same windows, connected her with a great contractor to install them, all total windows and install $18,000.

Like I said they are great windows, ordered them for my neighbor across the road from me, but renewal over charges folks by a lot.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hate to tell you but you over paid for those windows.

The windows are great, Andersen 100 series fibrex, seriously some very good windows.

But Renewal charges 2-3 times what the windows actually costs.

I sell windows, a lot of windows, a lady I used to work with came in the store one day and she came over to say hello, in our chat she mentioned she was having new windows installed of course I had to ask who was doing the work and what kind, and how much.

She said renewal and andersen and $55,000. I said please tell me you have not paid them, she said she was paying the the next day,

I said here let me quote you the same windows, connected her with a great contractor to install them, all total windows and install $18,000.

Like I said they are great windows, ordered them for my neighbor across the road from me, but renewal over charges folks by a lot.
Well crap then, a dollar short and a day late it seems.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your realtor called at 2:30 AM?
Nah, she called earlier but I finally got a round tuit.

1683222407277.png

1Mudman

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oklahoma was built on Oil and Gas and farming and Ranching. I have put in 50 yrs in the Oil and Gas industry and NG is a incredibly cheap and efficient way to power our Great State. Chinese built Solar panels and the entire Wind mill group is simply giving our country away to our Enemy and making them wealthy and hurting all USA citizens in one form or another.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Windows and insulation are less up front and quicker pay-off.

I redone our windows and paid for them in less than a year.

Kept seeing all those ads for FREE solar, plus goobermint rebate.

Checking into 3 different companies. All 3 were more catfishing than anything else. Never any useful information. Thinking, hoping, maybe somewhat legit. I took the next step. BIG MISTAKE! Fine print, at bottom of page, "we will have our qualified business partners CALLING you, soon, with pertinent information. Be sure and answer your phone."
Phone started ringing 5 minutes, later. I have blocked 8 numbers, so far.

Our electric bill was over $300. Old, wood frame windows and 5 window units.
I bought Low-E windows from Lowe's. 11 windows @ $179 each and 3 doors. Installed myself. Took about 3 hours each. 4 years later and we are way ahead. Our July electric bill was $125.

I have no idea what company my B-i-L called. He paid around $2000 per window, financed @ 8% for 20 years.
He was very happy with them, until I done mine.

I'm not sold on solar. Windows and doors, yes, but shop around. Forget specialty company, talk to general contractor or did it yourself.

Latest posts

Top Bottom