Solar Panels for the home - school me - why isn't everyone doing it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What’s the ballpark cost for just the sliding door?
Mine was $7,000 but they run different specials for huge discounts sometimes. I got 20% off plus 24 months same as cash. I'll have them paid for in 18 months.
They are not cheap but they are the Cadillac in the industry.

Last edited:

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is the array I put up for my off grid cabin. The inverter is 3Kw. The panels are supposed to produce 1980 watts (6-330watt panels). I have about $10K in this system that I installed myself. It does a good job for what I intended. I would not try to run the portable AC without the gas generator but for lights, refrigerator, micorwave, TV it's good. I have 8 large batteries that keep the 24V system running during times of cloud/darkness. Yes ! ground mount panels allow you to clean them periodically which is necessary. As you can see my panels are fixed and do not track so they are not optimal....but adequate. I recently lowered their angle as I had it too vertical for year-round use without tracking.
solar.jpg.jpeg

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They do in the CA deserts but it makes sense there.
Actually does not make sense anywhere, it has been suggested to use vast portions of the Sahara, but the excess heat generated would cause issues worldwide. There is no difference with small farms throughout the world as opposed to big one producing electricity worlwide.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
@Snattlerake
The panels are replaced when their efficiency drops for free.

Lifetime panels love it, what company?

Batteries are your major headache and those aren’t free, maintenance on a battery system you better know what to do, when, how often, and the chances you’ll actually do it (as paying for it is costly).

We had someone come in yearly.Break down your bank to find a bad cell to find the bad battery, no problem but lots of work for most of us. I maintained a 45 kva system on a Great Dane communications trailer, that’s not me after seeing that as your solar panels are a small part of a real system.

You can upgfade anything with money, I could make my hot rod sing with $$$$$$

It is getting closer, maybe 10 real years. What were going though now they don’t want us to have power…… jmo
25 year panels with an installer 25 years added according to the sales liar.

I found out these run concurrently. I expected that but it is NOT what he said ast night.

Last edited:

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually does not make sense anywhere, it has been suggested to use vast portions of the Sahara, but the excess heat generated would cause issues worldwide. There is no difference with small farms throughout the world as opposed to big one producing electricity worlwide.
Should have said, it makes more sense there than on top of your roof.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Personally for off the grid / prepper solar may be a bad idea. Wonder if the panels and inverters are EMP proof? Probably not. A generator may be able to be started if it was off during an EMP Event, assuming simple ignition systems, just like a 50's or 60's era car. At least it could be grounded properly and no sensitive electronics. If anyone knows different, please share.

Also wonder about EV's and solar. Could a solar array on one's roof handle 20-25 refrigerators? That's about the same usage as charging an EV.

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Personally for off the grid / prepper solar may be a bad idea. Wonder if the panels and inverters are EMP proof? Probably not.
Actually, from what I researched, the panels themselves would not be at risk to something like an EMP. Different story for the inverter. Thats' why I have a backup inverter in an EMP protected location. OK, I guess I'm a prepper.....but I consider it more as 'prepared' and using my soon to be worthless dollars efficiently

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Actually, from what I researched, the panels themselves would not be at risk to something like an EMP. Different story for the inverter. Thats' why I have a backup inverter in an EMP protected location. OK, I guess I'm a prepper.....but I consider it more as 'prepared' and using my soon to be worthless dollars efficiently
Tinfoil hat, tinfoil inverter. Makes sense to me.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
The ROI I calculated at our current rate of consumption was 19-22 years. The problem with our going solar is that our home is already under 30 years old, we have a brand new roof, < year old HVAC system, good windows, great insulation, all LED lighting, and all low consumption appliances. Basically, since the panel installer only finances enough generation to offset 80% of your current average use, the cost savings/offset was minimal and we'd only end up really saving about 4 months of the year so the juice wasn't worth the squeeze.

With that said, my one buddy literally makes money off of his system every month. He got quoted for solar not long after he bought his house. The home was 60+ years old with no updates and he only had about 6 months of bills to average off of. As soon as they did the install, he re-did his roof, windows, HVAC, etc and cut his consumption by something like 60%.
The POCO will not buy power from you and pay you a check for it. Not in Oklahoma. Any surplus electricity will spin the meter backward but only to the tune of cents per KWhr.

Latest posts

Top Bottom