Solar Security lights?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So there has almost always been a little problem in my neighborhood, with unlocked cars being rummaged through etc, but its been increasing and escalating. We've now had multiple windows and truck boxes broken into, garage door openers stolen, vehicles stolen etc. A large portion of my gated community has cameras, and we've got several videos of armed individuals checking our cars (few guns stolen, don't leave them in cars!). I live in a large lot at the end of the cul-de-sac, with no houses behind me (east) and none to the south. I have a motion lights in the backyard I need to replace (suggestions?) but the front is very well lit. I'd like to "harden" the back yard, sides and the areas behind and to the side of me with additional lighting. Since these areas don't have power, I am thinking solar security lights, possibly mounted on poles. What height, I have yet to decide, but high enough to avoid them being messed with obviously. Any other suggestions? Camera placement? Ordering a Eufy doorbell camera, and looking at Unifi or Lorex cameras. I don't want a subscription if possible. Aerials of my house, and the areas I want to cover. Mind you, a lot of those trees have been thinned or lost, and we cleared a few feet along the fence as well to keep branches off the fence and leaves out of the new pool (not pictured). The creek is low to dry most of the year, so can easily be crossed. One of the reasons I am concerned is the white house behind me has had their cars burgled (armed individual recorded) and they tried to get into the house. It wouldnt be too hard to cross over to my property. They are technically in a diff gated subdivision, neither with access to each other, other than shared "natural areas" which would conceal them from being seen by anyone. The fence line to the red line is the area I am wanting to cover.
InkedInked2_LI.jpg
Inked1_LI.jpg

Last edited:

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am thinking solar security lights, possibly mounted on poles.

Good idea. I saw that someone posted on the Ring app a video of some wench stealing their solar sidewalk lights the other day. She didn't give a one damn about the Ring doorbell videoing her. :pissed:

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have some of these mounted as down lights. They are dim lights and get quite a bit brighter for about a minute when they detect activity. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B017LYD93C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have 4 of these lights. They are off except when they detect motion, then they are pretty bright. The sensitivity and length they stay on is adjustable. If fully charged they can stay on for about 3 hours.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FDQPCR2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’d cover the back with motion sensor flood lights, hd security systems are pretty cheap and most are internet accessible if you want. Or you can go with nest cams etc.

note, motion nights can get annoying at night.

bigfug

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’d cover the back with motion sensor flood lights, hd security systems are pretty cheap and most are internet accessible if you want. Or you can go with nest cams etc.

note, motion nights can get annoying at night.

Thats the plan. I have one at that corner that needs to be replaced, was gonna run some romex and put one mid way, and then the far corner. The solar lights are to place along the fence line, basically extending my "perimeter" along the wooded area. Thought about game cams.

Latest posts

Top Bottom