SOLGW Upper Complete

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Over Thanksgiving weekend I pieced together what I hope will be my primary HD and all around "go to" AR. Here's what I went with:

Sons of Liberty Gun Works 12.5" East India Starter Kit (complete upper minus handguard and muzzle device)
BCM 10.5" MCMR
VG6 Epsilon Muzzle Device
Radian Raptor Ambi Charging Handle
PSA Premium BCG

I also added the following accessories:

Magpul MS1 Sling
Surefire G2X Light in an Odin Works Mount
Arisaka Finger Stop
Primary Arms Cyclops 1x Prism Scope

I've assembled several lowers but never an upper, so I was somewhat worried about jacking up the SOLGW upper by taking it apart to install the MCMR. I was going to buy a Geissele Reaction Rod, but I decided to first try the Wheeler clamshell which I already had.

Disassembly was quick and easy, I'm guessing mainly because the upper was never fired. The front gas block screw was tight, but eventually broke free and I was glad to find that I could remove the gas block and tube together. The barrel nut came off easily and then the fun began.

Once I had the MCMR barrel nut torqued I realized that I had boogered the wrench slots a bit. Some judicious filing and sanding fixed that and then it was on to the gas block. The barrel was dimpled, so it was easy to get the block back into place. I don't know if it's right or wrong, but I ended up staking both screws. I figure if it's good enough for the gas key and castle nut, then it couldn't hurt. After that it was on to the rail.

Everything I'd read mentioned how snug the fit was between the rail and the nut, and it was a tight little bastid. I heated the rail per instruction, and it still seized up on the nut. I ended up using more heat and a rubber mallet to get the rail into place. BCM uses a steel insert to interface between the rail and the upper, and the insert got knocked cockeyed at some point, but fortunately I noticed and realigned it before any damage occurred to either the upper or the rail. I had to tweak the gap between the upper and rail a bit so that the locking screws would clear the groove in the barrel nut, but after that it was a simple matter to finish clamping the rail in place.

The muzzle device went on fairly easily, although I did have to do some filing on the crush washer to make it work.

All in all, I was pleasantly surprised by how smoothly my first upper went together. If anything, it was probably easier than assembling a lower.

Today I paired the new upper with my Aero M4E1 pistol lower with the Geissele Super 42 spring/buffer and ran 40 rounds through her. She shoots very smoothly and there were zero malfunctions. The VG6 brake does its job well and with the 12.5" barrel I didn't notice any excessive concussion. Tomorrow I'm planning on running the 10.5" Aero upper and the 12.5" SOLGW upper to see how they compare.

IMG_0579.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom