Some cold AK's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neanderthal

In Remembrance / March 2023
Special Hen
Reaction score
I braved the negative temps this morning only long enough to take a few pics of some furniture that I just refinished. A milled Arsenal SA M-7 Classic on the left and a fully converted Saiga on the right.

Attachments

• 1treeAKs.jpg
    1treeAKs.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 232

Neanderthal

Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks! This is the first year for the Arsenal SA M-7 (made in 2000, there were 600 of them) and they are a bit more refined than the current SAM7 line. Here's a shot of the receiver for comparison.

Attachments

• 1sam7k.jpg
    1sam7k.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 195

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very nice. I'm thinking about refinishing the furniture that came with my Romanian AK. Want to do something like the russian red or Ox blood. What do you suggest?
Below you can get a glimpse of the original wood. Think I could sand down then stain and put a few coats of clear to make it shine like a diamond.
AK H.jpg

Neanderthal

Special Hen
Reaction score
Very nice. I'm thinking about refinishing the furniture that came with my Romanian AK. Want to do something like the russian red or Ox blood. What do you suggest?
Below you can get a glimpse of the original wood. Think I could sand down then stain and put a few coats of clear to make it shine like a diamond.
View attachment 63434

Hey Al! I've tried a lot of different methods: pine tar & shellac, RIT dye, and a myriad of other stains. What I've found the easiest is to simply use food coloring for the stain. I use mostly red with a few drops of yellow food coloring. I dilute it in alcohol so it dries fast, and then add a little bit of white vinegar (my wife's idea) in order to make the colors more vibrant. If there is some wood grain that you really want to bring out, then I typically will put some light stain (minwax Early American works great) before I put the other stain on. Then I put a few coats of poly on, sand it down smooth and apply a few more coats of poly. Here's what it winds up looking like. This is a Bulgarian handguard set, I put a dowel in the hole at the front and sanded it down before staining.
akhandguardsafter1.jpg

akhandguardsafter2.jpg

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Al! I've tried a lot of different methods: pine tar & shellac, RIT dye, and a myriad of other stains. What I've found the easiest is to simply use food coloring for the stain. I use mostly red with a few drops of yellow food coloring. I dilute it in alcohol so it dries fast, and then add a little bit of white vinegar (my wife's idea) in order to make the colors more vibrant. If there is some wood grain that you really want to bring out, then I typically will put some light stain (minwax Early American works great) before I put the other stain on. Then I put a few coats of poly on, sand it down smooth and apply a few more coats of poly. Here's what it winds up looking like. This is a Bulgarian handguard set, I put a dowel in the hole at the front and sanded it down before staining. View attachment 63444
View attachment 63445
That's the look I going for. When it warms up, I'll be getting in touch to get the mixtures (that's new one with the minwax early american)
Thanks.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey Al! I've tried a lot of different methods: pine tar & shellac, RIT dye, and a myriad of other stains. What I've found the easiest is to simply use food coloring for the stain. I use mostly red with a few drops of yellow food coloring. I dilute it in alcohol so it dries fast, and then add a little bit of white vinegar (my wife's idea) in order to make the colors more vibrant. If there is some wood grain that you really want to bring out, then I typically will put some light stain (minwax Early American works great) before I put the other stain on. Then I put a few coats of poly on, sand it down smooth and apply a few more coats of poly. Here's what it winds up looking like. This is a Bulgarian handguard set, I put a dowel in the hole at the front and sanded it down before staining. View attachment 63444
View attachment 63445
Those look great!

Latest posts

Top Bottom