Some Days It Just Doesn't Pay To Be A Nerd

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just spent two and a half hours replacing my son's mainboard and upgrading his CPU. He had broken the wifi connectors on his previous board is the reason for replacement and I had the CPU from a recent upgrade of my system. I spent almost an hour playing with the UEFI settings, trying to get it to recognize his old windows installation with no luck. I had to reinstall it. Some days I really hate being the family nerd, don't get me started on fixing my mother's system on a regular basis. I can never convince her there is no such thing as free on the internet, she will install anything.

Edit: Not that this will make much sense to most folks, just needed to rant.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are a few good free programs out there. Avast, Spy Bot, LibreOffice and C Cleaner to name a few.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are a few good free programs out there. Avast, Spy Bot, LibreOffice and C Cleaner to name a few.
I prefer Eset for antivirus and as far as LibreOffice we have a Office 365 subscription. Need it for the kids school. If I have to clean something that made it through Eset, I generally use Malwarebytes. My son's issue was his Windows install wasn't being recognized by the UEFI of his new board, so I booted it off a Windows install disk to see if the drive showed up under options for installing, which it did. At that point I just deleted the partition and started over. I also tried the other M.2 slot on his board to see if that made any difference, which it didn't. As much crap as he had installed on his system, a fresh install was probably a good thing anyway.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
don't get me started on fixing my mother's system on a regular basis. I can never convince her there is no such thing as free on the internet, she will install anything.

It's called administration and user mode

I really miss the old DOS days

c:\\
C:>\
C:>\ DEL *.*
C:>\ YES
C:>\ FORMAT C: /S

RETOKSQUID

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just spent two and a half hours replacing my son's mainboard and upgrading his CPU. He had broken the wifi connectors on his previous board is the reason for replacement and I had the CPU from a recent upgrade of my system. I spent almost an hour playing with the UEFI settings, trying to get it to recognize his old windows installation with no luck. I had to reinstall it. Some days I really hate being the family nerd, don't get me started on fixing my mother's system on a regular basis. I can never convince her there is no such thing as free on the internet, she will install anything.

Edit: Not that this will make much sense to most folks, just needed to rant.
Pretty sure my kiddo feels the same way.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Having different skillsets is what makes the world go round...and complaining about having one to help your son out seems kinda crappy to be honest.
Was complaining about the work taking longer than it should have for what I was doing, not about who I was doing it for.

Latest posts

Top Bottom