Some Days It Just Doesn't Pay To Be A Nerd

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's beyond my computer abilities.
Used to be beyond mine, but 25 years ago I had to learn. I had bought my first PC, after starting as a Respiratory Therapist and it wasn't assembled correctly. They had used two different kinds of memory so it was throwing random errors. I had previous experience with Apple II, IIc and Atari computers (yeah they built some) but limited PC. I learned a lot from that computer and also learned to always build my own, if I'm doing a desktop. Stuck to that path ever since. It's physically getting harder to work on them with my arthritis, but I'm not out of the game yet.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ZyJust spent two and a half hours replacing my son's mainboard and upgrading his CPU. He had broken the wifi connectors on his previous board is the reason for replacement and I had the CPU from a recent upgrade of my system. I spent almost an hour playing with the UEFI settings, trying to get it to recognize his old windows installation with no luck. I had to reinstall it. Some days I really hate being the family nerd, don't get me started on fixing my mother's system on a regular basis. I can never convince her there is no such thing as free on the internet, she will install anything.

Edit: Not that this will make much sense to most folks, just needed to rant.
I’m lazy, would have just used a usb WiFi.

I’ve been trying to buy a new video card for over a year now, I’d build a new system if I could ever get a video card I want.

Last edited:

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I feel your pain. I was moved to a Tier 1 position for our department a few years ago. I start out most conversations with "How long as it been since you restarted this PC" or my favorite, "You're a patrol officer. Why on God's green earth did you click a link with an invoice to a Jamaican cruse in your work email"

Job security my friend

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m lazy, would have just used a usb WiFi.

I’ve been trying to buy a new video card for over a tear now, I’d build a new system if I could ever get a video card I want.
Wanted to upgrade his CPU which wouldn't work in his old board, even with a BIOS update. I feel you on the GPU front, I just upgraded my son's for Christmas and spent way the hell too much on a mediocre card. I suspect the card situation is going to get even worse before it gets better, which is why I got it for him now instead of closer to Christmas.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I feel your pain. I was moved to a Tier 1 position for our department a few years ago. I start out most conversations with "How long as it been since you restarted this PC" or my favorite, "You're a patrol officer. Why on God's green earth did you click a link with an invoice to a Jamaican cruse in your work email"

Job security my friend
Yep, no amount of antivirus software will prevent infections, if the user actively assists in the infection.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
what board, what os, what cpu, what hdd/ssd?

i somewhat recently had to install windows 7 on a new build for someone older and insistent on not going to windows 10, and getting windows 7 to boot from a ssd was a pain. this basically involved emulating bios from the uefi onboard so that windows 7 could actually boot, as 7 cannot recognize an ssd.

usually when i have issues that are stubborn; i treat it like looking for something that i can't find. if i can't find it, it must be somewhere i'm not looking. sounds simple, but it saves me again and again. sometimes when you think "well i'm just swapping/upgrading this part, so the solution for any issue must also come from here" but that is usually never the case and you have to look somewhere you aren't looking for the easiest and quickest solution.

Jason Freeland

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Remember when Winders 10 was the be all end all? All we had to do from then to eternity was update.

Now there is Winders 11.

My grandkid's grandkids will see Winders 100.
Yep, I think half the requirements for 11, are meant to drive people towards a new PC. Especially requiring a TPM module. While you can add them to some boards, they are hard to find and most folks aren't comfortable doing it anyway. Having TPM built into the chip was one reason I wanted to get my son on the 3700X, as there are some gaming features unique to 11. Hopefully the L3 Cache latency issue with Ryzen processors on 11, will be fixed by release day.

Latest posts

Top Bottom