Some days!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rule #1
Alway take your keys with you whether your driving or not.
Rule #2
Keep a spare key in your billfold and always keep your billfold on your hip when you put your britches on in the morning.
Rule #3
Never let anyone know you have a spare key in your billfold in case YOU need it for an emergency.
Happy motoring....

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Once I locked myself out of my house and had to call a locksmith. After that, I had an extra key made and hid it good.

Another time, I called the dealer and asked them which window was the cheapest to break. They asked why I wanted to know, and I said I locked my keys in the car and had to get in. They told me that they could be there in 20 minutes with a spare key since they have the records. I asked them to please hurry as it was starting to rain and I wanted to close the convertible top.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about this, Rick. That has to be incredibly frustrating.

Locked my keys in the trunk ('65 Galaxie) at work as a teenager. Noticed them just as I slammed the lid. Fortunately, I had a spare set at home, and my sis was kind enough to bring them to me.
:hithead:

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Can't remember the year right off, but we were in a National Forest campground NW of Trinidad, CO. (45 miles from town and no cell service.)

Got up in the morning to break camp, and to keep the two pups warm, we put them in the pickup and left the engine and heater running. I didn't think that the wife had left her purse in the F150 as well. Dog got up and leaned on the armrest of the door and locked the pickup. When we realized what had happened, we kept coaxing him to step back up on the armrest and hit the lock button again. He always kept missing the switch. I don't remember how long we tried, and he was getting warm and acting like he wanted to lie down and take a nap. (I do that as well when I get good and warm.)

Anyway, I went kind of forward of the pickup to find something to break a window. He saw me go out that way and got his paws back on the armrest, and this time he hit the switch to unlock the doors. I had never seen my family move so fast to get a door open.

59 years of owning automobiles and that was the only "lock-out" that I experienced.

Hodrod

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just another one of those days. Wife forgets her cell ( I never carry mine unless I am driving) We get our Aldi shopping done and hit Walmart for the odds and ends we need. Get that done, load the stuff in the car, wife jumps in starts it and jumps out closing the door. Keys, purse, everything is now locked in the car. Again I am not carrying my keys either since I am not driving.

I go to get my emergency key hided back in my wallet. Wife "Oh I forgot to give that back last time we had the car worked on". So standing in Walmart parking lot at the car as it is running while the wife goes inside and uses a phone to call the daughter. 2 hours later they have decided to call an Uber, except we have no house keys. Can not reach AAA. I finally send the wife in to buy a hammer and knock out a side window.

We make it home and the first thing I did was get my emergency key back. Some days I hate my life.
Hang in there RickN.....In a few months you'll be able to laugh with the wife about getting old and the issues that go along with days like this......In the mean time you deserve to be upset.....

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I love my keyless entry.

I carried a flat spare key in my billfold for decades because of this kind of stupidity. Hey, it happens.

Worst case I ever saw was when I pulled into a boat ramp on a lake that only had 1 open ramp because of a multitude of other tragedies that day, including a fatal boat crash that had 2 ramps closed for recovery and rescue folks. Anyway, pulled into the ramp area. Boats lined up 60-70 deep. No kidding, 60 or 70 boats. Truck parked on the ramp with a boat on the trailer, still in the water. Cop cars every where.

The wife let me off at the dock so I could go see what was up. Gal had backed the trailer in the water, husband/boyfriend loaded the boat. She got out to winch it up, and; truck was running. Keys locked inside. One thing led to another and he'd punched her. He was cuffed and stuffed. She was holding a bloody towel to her face, and a couple locksmiths were working on both sides of the truck. One of my buddies pulled by in his boat and said, "tell them to pick up a piece of rip rap and throw it thru a F'in window". One of the lake patrol guys heard him and I got in trouble cause I was standing where he could chastise me for what my friend had said on his ramp flyby. "Tell your pal I got enough going on up here I don't need him adding to it. " What a brutal day at the lake.

Boat ramps are under rated for the entertainment value.

Sorry about your window.
There are some boat ramps that people set up lawn chairs and watch to see other's misfortunes! Under rated? Maybe. Someone may start a YouTube Channel if they haven't already.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's bad if you had ice cream inside melting-that is an emergency! Before I had a "push button" car, I used to tie a spare key somewhere on the car with a zip tie in case I locked my self out or lost my keys. I only had to use the zip-tied spare key once. Rick, if this is a trend, you'd be better off leaving the window broken out...just sayin'

Last edited:

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was in college I locked my keys in my car so often, I finally got a guitar string and wound it up and kept it in my wallet. Got to where I could almost open it as fast with the guitar string as I could with the key.

CorpsVet

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Years ago I locked my keys in the car, called a locksmith, he had a piece of heavy guage wire in the shape of a Z that he placed against the window turned the top out and poped the lock.

I thought that was pretty handy and went to the hardware store for some wire and made me one.

Sure enough, next time I locked my keys in the car I had my tool, locked in my trunk

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Years ago I locked my keys in the car, called a locksmith, he had a piece of heavy guage wire in the shape of a Z that he placed against the window turned the top out and poped the lock.

I thought that was pretty handy and went to the hardware store for some wire and made me one.

Sure enough, next time I locked my keys in the car I had my tool, locked in my trunk
Lol, there's nothing like being prepared... :D
:drunk2:

Latest posts

Top Bottom