Some thoughts about using an AR15 for home defense

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
upload_2017-4-10_22-32-53.png

I concede........

Jwryan84

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I wouldn't use Milspec ball 55 or 62gr ammo for 5.56/.223 HD. Why leave wounding potential on the table when you could shoot JSP, tipped HP or JHP (Designed to open, not JHP target ammo)? As for expecting Milspec ammo to "Tumble" and break into two or more segments, (Which is actually to yaw or rotate off centerline axis and hopefully fracture at the cannelure or midsection), meh, it's a hope and a wish, both of which suck. There's no promises with close range, high velocity FMJ wounds. Torso wounds may offer enough distance to make dramatic upset and tissue damage likely but like the above post describes, extremity wounds not involving bone or large vessels can be like "Icepick" wounds.
Speer GD 55gr JSP, Hornady TAP and many other duty type ammo versions are going to optimize the wounding potential.

As far as pistol vs. carbine for any kind of defense, if there's space and arms to use a carbine, I'd be all over it. Two handed aiming of a longer & more stable object, tremendous muzzle blast of a short barreled AR, ammo/ velocity capable of much more than any common handgun cartridge, 31 reliable rounds, chance to put multiple rounds into an assailant rapidly, etc., that's all good stuff.

Some good TAP 60 gr URBAN would be ideal if you are worried about over penetration. Looks like there is some in the classifieds.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At what diameter pattern?

We used a cardboard USPSA silhouette and the hole was not much larger than an inch; reinforcing your point that you will need to aim a shotgun at close range. We shot some cheaper 9 and 12 pellet 00 buck from Remington, Winchester, Fiocchi and Nobel where the pellets began to spread out dramatically more at short range compared to the Federal FC 00. Some spread out so much that you would have a difficult time keeping all the pellets on target at 15 yards depending on the size of your target.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
We used a cardboard USPSA silhouette and the hole was not much larger than an inch; reinforcing your point that you will need to aim a shotgun at close range. We shot some cheaper 9 and 12 pellet 00 buck from Remington, Winchester, Fiocchi and Nobel where the pellets began to spread out dramatically more at short range compared to the Federal FC 00. Some spread out so much that you would have a difficult time keeping all the pellets on target at 15 yards depending on the size of your target.

In my house 15 yards would be the EXTREME distance I could shoot. 10yds would be more likely. I need to pattern my new shotgun.

While I do have a 12ga pump with 7 or 8 rounds of 00 buck in the closet, it's not my primary HD gun. I keep a Glock 19 with 31rd mag on the night stand, and a 8.5in AR pistol in .300 blk leaning against the nightstand. Both have tac lights mounted.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
AR > Shotgun due to much larger magazine capacity and faster follow up shots because of less recoil. Unless your home is being invaded by grizzly bears the AR is the better choice. I used to be a die hard HD shotgun guy but have listened to those smarter than myself...

west side.

Latest posts

Top Bottom