Some thoughts on lower receivers and lower parts kits.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok so I have had a few freanken rifles

DPMS stripped lower with a CMMG parts kit and upper. Upper to lower fit was good. A little play but minimal. Sold a while back.

Roggio Arsenal stripped lower built with a 2 stage national match rock river lower parts kit. All 3 of my current uppers are sloppy on this receiver the receiver's extension tubes threads were fubar brand new out of the box. The hammer and trigger pin holes are both out of spec with .1555 pins I still had to install KNS pins because I was scared the RR pins were going to walk loose and drop out. Do not buy Roggio Arsenal, they are crap for QC but with my CMMG upper on it the dang thing just keeps shooting and eating anything I feed it. Including mags that won't work in my wife's rifle.

Mega Machine forged lower and Mega upper. The fit between the upper and lower is rock solid no play at all, both my CMMG uppers also fit this lower well with just the slightest almost imperceptible amount of play. This is my wife's rifle and I am very jealous.

Surplus Arms and Ammo lower, good to go very tight fit with CMMG uppers and the mega upper. Using it as my .300 blackout platform.

Noveske N4 forged lower. Nothing else needs to be said the front pivot pin is so tight it takes a tool to push it loose excellent lockup with all 3 of my current uppers, it is going to be my platform for a SBR build.

Seekins Precision Billet, on order drooling in anticipation but I have concerns that I will be disappointed by it especially for what they charge. I'll report back when I get it. If it's as good as I anticipate then It's going to be awesome.

LAR forged lower, I have 2 waiting on builds as well will report on them when I build them out.

Lower parts kits I have used.

DPMS, trigger left a lot to be desired, heavy, creepy and gritty with vague feel on the let off.
RRA single stage, trigger marginally better than DPMS
RRA 2 stage national match. Best budget value in a trigger that feels really good. If you don't go Geissle then this is the one for the budget minded.
CMMG single stage, trigger is lighter than the RRA and DPMS single stages, does not feel gritty and not much creep to it.

Hope my personal experiences will help a brother out.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
DPMS makes an Accu-Wedge and JP makes an expanding take-down pin, both of which "solve" a "problem".

I don't have a "problem" to solve, I just would not want that rifle when stealth is of any concern, sounds like a 350 chevy with a spun rod bearing knocking.

I've never understood why people get concerned with the play between upper and lower receivers.

Because they do, figured I would mention it since they do. The upper to lower fit is not my concern with the Roggio lower, the hammer and trigger pin holes were way out of spec and the screwed up threading for the extension tube are signs of overall poor QC and why I would never recommend one to anyone else.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is all great info, thanks. I'm building my first AR now. Slowly acquiring parts. Lower is an Echo Nine Three, upper is YHM, lower parts kit is Damage Ind., and butt stock is Magpull SBU (I think that's that letters). Thinking about using a Wilson Combat barrel, bolt and bolt carrier.

Buddhaman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
anyone running PSA uppers?

I am. I built my AR using the Surplus Ammo & Arms lower, a DoubleStar LPK, mil-spec buffer tube from SlideFire Solutions, upper from PSA (5.56, 1/7 twist, mid-length gas system), and BCG from Bravo Company (full-auto). Shoots like a dream and is more accurate than I am. I'm torn between getting more ammo or getting a red dot for it.