Someone please school me on "solvent traps"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had never heard of these until I got a newsletter about JK Armaments solvent traps. These are parts used to build a suppressor once you have acquired the proper form1 tax stamp so you can relatively easily convert it. This got me curious so I searched the interwebs for other solvent traps and came across a site called solventtrapshop.com. Here they are clearly selling all sorts of suppressors in some form of a kit. Looks like all you have to do is insert the baffles, screw on the end cap and thread adapter for the appropriate "filter" you will be attaching it to and Bob's your uncle. So how is any of this legal? Clearly they are not fooling the BATFE with their alternative naming of said parts. This particular site appears to be overseas somewhere outside their reach. So what's the catch? How would the feds even allow them to be imported? Do they get delivered to your door by ATF Express asking to see your approved form 1 or it's a free ride to the Iron Bar Hilton? It seems to me that if you possessed one of these the ATF would consider it constructive intent. Let me be clear, I have no interest in obtaining one of these. I already have several properly stamped suppressors. I am just puzzled by the whole thing. It seems as obvious as selling auto sears as key ring fobs.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did ATF ban solvent traps?

Before the ATF raided Diversified Machine, there was no guidance from the ATF on solvent traps; they were completely legal to own. Regardless, in Jan. 2022, the ATF sent out a letter to many of those who had purchased these solvent traps accusing them of attempting to acquire suppressor parts.Mar 1, 2022

Proceed at your own risk!

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
there was one for sale here in april apparently lol.

there's always a guy (at least the last ones i went to) shilling them at gun shows.

life uh.....finds a way.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Before the ATF raided Diversified Machine, there was no guidance from the ATF on solvent traps; they were completely legal to own. Regardless, in Jan. 2022, the ATF sent out a letter to many of those who had purchased these solvent traps accusing them of attempting to acquire suppressor parts.Mar 1, 2022

1658169154637.png

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

So I guess the next question would be how did the ATF know who to send the letters to?

Well never mind. I assume they went through all the sales records of Div. Mach.

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like I said, I have plenty of legal cans. I'm not about to f around with some gray area chit. I just didn't get how you could be selling suppressor parts while not selling suppressor parts.

Jgibs0321

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like I said, I have plenty of legal cans. I'm not about to f around with some gray area chit. I just didn't get how you could be selling suppressor parts while not selling suppressor parts.
And one day, if the ATF still exists, if history repeats itself, it wont matter how legal you used to be or what rules you tried to abide by. When the day comes that legitimate tyranny by force comes around, it will solely be about complying or death/imprisonment. What will everyone do when finally ARs are banned? Really optimistic to believe their will never be an outright complete disregard for the USC and dismantling of it.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
i mean just exactly as you described. you can buy all sorts of things, even "legal" that let's be real fit that description.

binary triggers, bump stocks (rip i guess), even things that skirt state laws like those stupid fins in california and thumbhole stocks.

.....do....do you know crackheads aren't buying those roses in a tube at the gas station for the rose?

it's perfectly legal; but from what i've heard stay away from monocore designs, and for best results try to order parts from different vendors. ie; an entire kit might get confiscated (i don't think so, but there are horror stories most likely spread by feds in the first place online), but a set of cups won't, some end caps won't, a tube won't, etc.

the monocore designs that have holes and are pretty much ready to go are a bit more skeevy imo. just like anything else; if you dO yOuR oWn rEsEaRcH you can easily make an informed decision.

Latest posts

Top Bottom