Someone teach me how to waterfowl hunt?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you’re wanting company when looking to go out shooting some ducks or geese, I would love to tag along and learn. I have a good 20 years of firearms handling experience (I won’t shoot you, your dog, or your truck) and 3 years self taught hunting experience, I just don’t know what I’m doing with waterfowl. Can cook a hot lunch or dinner and provide ammo for the day. I also have a 7 month old Drahthaar that loves retrieving ducks that can come along if you don’t have a dog. Located in OKC, can travel.

E3ADA741-A729-468A-9C66-DED6D0234461.jpeg

Last edited:

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You and I are in the same boat my friend. I have since taught myself how to pond jump them. The concept is quite easy...getting it down to where you're at a >75% success rate takes a bit of practice. Maybe it isn't conducive to your hunting areas, but my stock ponds all have trees around at least part of them.

Play it like a spot and stalk, and when you burst out of the brush it is essentially a live round of trap shooting. I do use a small pair of binos to see what it is that ill be jumping though before hand.

Hopefully someone who has more experience and is better equipped than I can actually help you out some soon. Mostly I'm just blowing hot air I suppose, but it does work for me.

Best of luck.

GnometownHero

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sooner Lake is close to Stillwater. I went duck hunting with my friend from Tulsa there. We did a walk in with a decoy cart last year. Sad about his yellow lab just died recently. Rocky was a great retriever.
I have a Mossberg 835, could use some fat boy waders. I hunt in Carharts and camo coat. Nothin fancy. I have neuropathy and arthritis leg and feet problems after the plandemic killed me. But if I can walk less than a 1/4 mile flat land to the blind spot, I am good.
Best thing to know about duck hunting is "they can see you farther than you think" SO sit still and listen for wings or chatter from them and get ready. Letting a few come on in before yoù start keeping the shell mfg in biz for no ducks.
I love it when pintails fly in, little jet aircraft, teal whistle, wood ducks are so irredescent in sunlight. all the cool variety of the ducks and plumage.
I raised yellow labs when I lived in KC. But didnt duck hunt. Pheasant and goose on stubble. Goose hunting is fun with the right guys.

rjbrooks7

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sooner Lake is close to Stillwater. I went duck hunting with my friend from Tulsa there. We did a walk in with a decoy cart last year. Sad about his yellow lab just died recently. Rocky was a great retriever.
I have a Mossberg 835, could use some fat boy waders. I hunt in Carharts and camo coat. Nothin fancy. I have neuropathy and arthritis leg and feet problems after the plandemic killed me. But if I can walk less than a 1/4 mile flat land to the blind spot, I am good.
Best thing to know about duck hunting is "they can see you farther than you think" SO sit still and listen for wings or chatter from them and get ready. Letting a few come on in before yoù start keeping the shell mfg in biz for no ducks.
I love it when pintails fly in, little jet aircraft, teal whistle, wood ducks are so irredescent in sunlight. all the cool variety of the ducks and plumage.
I raised yellow labs when I lived in KC. But didnt duck hunt. Pheasant and goose on stubble. Goose hunting is fun with the right guys.
You can hunt at Sooner? I didn’t know. I’ve heard quail whistling while putting a boat in the water at dawn in September up there…

rjbrooks7

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Step 1 - Hit it with your truck
Step 2 - Tell the GW you just had to put it out of it's misery.

Oh, wait, that's deer hunting.
That ain’t funny man. I smoked a big buck on my way to the blind this morning.

In all seriousness, scout, scout, scout then scout some more. And as mentioned, if you think you’re blinded in, blind in more. They can see and remember, the water is like a giant amplifier. Any sound you make carries.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That ain’t funny man. I smoked a big buck on my way to the blind this morning.

In all seriousness, scout, scout, scout then scout some more. And as mentioned, if you think you’re blinded in, blind in more. They can see and remember, the water is like a giant amplifier. Any sound you make carries.
I mean, that's apparently how he does deer hunting ;) ;) Shot my first deer today

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Duck is NOT difficult, but can be VERY frustrating.

Pond jumping can get you seeing ducks. Permission to shoot is entirely different.
Sneaking up on ducks is harder than sneaking up on guineas. Noise is as much an alert as motion.

Blind and decoys is best, if you have a pond the ducks like. Just because the pond is there, doesn't mean ducks will use it.

Build a blind with natural materials in the area. Put out a few decoys, 4-12. Put deeks 5-7 yards apart, in the center, at edge of wind ripples, 35-40 yards from blind. Keep your head down, face covered. Learn to use a call.

dbradshaw

Marksman
Reaction score
@HoLeChit I am in the same boat as you. Me and a buddy have a dozen decoys and live in the Tulsa area. We are going to try to give it a shot this weekend. We have done as much research as we could online and figured we just have to go out and learn from our mistakes. If anyone wants to share a place close to Tulsa, id be willing buy ammo and share the decoys.

Latest posts

Top Bottom