Something Different??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do love those tang sights.

I have a Winchester 61, from 1921. Papa had a 62, I grew up shooting. Awesome rifle, after he passed, it "disappeared".

His best friend , in school, bought the 61 the same day he bought the 62. The hardware store had 1 of each. They had been picking cotton (13yo) to get the rifles. Dad ran into him one day, after the funeral. He was telling Dad about the rifles and asked if he would be interested in buying it? I got a .22LR for my birthday.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That’s a nice gaggle you have there @Sgt Dog. Not sure why but I’ve always been attracted to things from past generations. Heck! Even my wife is 9+ years my senior. 😂😂😂 Now don’t tell or she’ll skin me. 😉
@turkeyrun a 61 is quite the little pump. Closest thing I have is that Browning Trombone I showed. It was designed by John Moses himself but due to patent infringements with Remington he went to FN and had them built for the European market. I’m sure the one I have made it’s way down from Canada.
I really don’t have many of any one thing but a few of various types. I have three Win Model 12’s (12,16,28) and a Model 42, a couple 1897s, maybe 5-6 WWI/WWII rifles and so on. At this point I’m not actively searching for anything specific but if something interesting comes along it wouldn’t be hard to get my attention. Most of the ones I get are in need of some love and attention but I like tinkering on things so I wind up getting a deal and then when I’ve cleaned and done what repairs are needed I have a slick shooter.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You aren’t kidding about the 22 Hornet, that would be very cool. Always wanted one as a kid and never did get it so I found this one at a pawn shop a few years back and brought it home. The stock was pretty darn beat but the metal was decent so I made an offer and they took it. Refinished the wood and now I think it doesn’t look half bad. This one is a Savage 24S-C which is a 22LR over a 20 gauge IC choke. It’s definitely a bunny and squirrel slayer. 😉View attachment 295258
I’m impressed! Beautiful firearm!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ah brother I sure hope not. Someone has to have a few gems handed down from Grampa. Picked this one up over the past 6 months, a Winchester 1890 in 22WRF. It’s been on my short list for at least 15 years, had a couple thousand rounds waiting in the ammo cabinet for when I was able to bring one home. Finally found one at what I thought was a decent price so we made the deal. I don’t have anything I’d call collectible, just a few shooters I think are pretty darn cool. I’ll take an old Winchester over a tricked out 10-22 every day of the week. This particular rifle was made in the 20s (can’t recall the exact year just now) View attachment 295260View attachment 295261I have an 1890 hex barrel in the safe that has been rechambered for .22 LR RF I’ve taken to an Eat and Shoot we have occasionally.
I have an 1890 hex barrel that I’ve taken to our EnShoot.
Just as reliable as the day it was built.