Something simple for annealing cases

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have usually just held the case in the flame of my torch and annealed the case.
Trying to hold in the same area of the flame and spin the case at the same time.

I usually count at this time on the first case to see how long it takes to get the color I want or to melt the Tempilaq off.

Now I have been needing to build a jig of some kind..But the tight wad I am and having time set aside for it.

This took 5 minutes to build.. used 1 hose clamp and 1 welding rod.

I set my socket against the rod at the same angle every time and spin it and start counting..
simple and cheap.. works better than no rest.

Welding rod was for arc welder I busted the flux off of it. Place socket on extension and place case into socket.

001.jpg
002.JPG

Have fun and be safe.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tempilaq can be used. or like stated watch the color.. if you use the Tempilaq a couple times you will get the feel for it..Or just jump in with both feet and try it.

I do not put the case into the flame. it is above the flame and I try to position the heat at just behind the mid point of the case neck.
You can do a couple by holding them with your fingers and if the case gets too hot to hold during the annealing then you went too long, or you are too far from the flame.
The case will cool kind of quick.. and the heat will travel down to where you are holding it after you are done annealing.
Look at the discolored case.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/39...grain-sierra-matchking-hollow-point-boat-tail

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/494545/tempilaq-temperature-indicator-650-degree-2-oz

Latest posts

Top Bottom