Son Shoots, Kills Home Invasion Suspect Who Allegedly Pistol-Whipped Father

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ethan N

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One article says he shot while they were running out of the house. The man who shot was outside the house. So they very well could have been running toward him when he shot. Even if they were running away from him, someone with a gun in hand running away from you is still an imminent threat. How long does it take for him to point the gun back and fire? That said, if they were running away, I’d be taking cover, not shooting.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Even if they were running away from him, someone with a gun in hand running away from you is still an imminent threat. How long does it take for him to point the gun back and fire?

The law makes a clear distinction in this regard - and it generally disagrees with you.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can’t remember the exact wording of it but it’s something to the effect that if they were running away then the threat was no longer there

Ethan N

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Okay, I reread what was said and I think I need to clarify I’m talking about a scenario where someone is running away, but is still an imminent threat (e.g. is pointing the gun at anyone in any direction). This doesn’t mean anyone who has a gun in hand is always an imminent threat, even if running away. But someone doesn’t have to be advancing toward you or even facing you to be an imminent threat of death or grave bodily harm.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score

Ummm... because it clearly says people running AWAY from you aren't considered an imminent threat. This has been widely established around this country. Do you really disagree with that?

I'm sorry, I don't support you or anyone else shooting someone in the back or the back of the head if they are running away from you. If you do, then I would say we have a serious disagreement about morality.

Ethan N

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ummm... because it clearly says people running AWAY from you aren't considered an imminent threat. This has been widely established around this country. Do you really disagree with that?

I'm sorry, I don't support you or anyone else shooting someone in the back or the back of the head if they are running away from you. If you do, then I would say we have a serious disagreement about morality.
I might be wrong, but Title 21 § 1289.25 is the only section of Oklahoma statutes that I recall deals with Stand Your Ground situations.* I don’t see any mention there of running away, fleeing, escaping, etc.

So, just to make sure I understand your position, you would not think it justified to use deadly force against someone who is running away from you while pointing a gun at you or even shooting at you?

* Obviously the incident in question didn’t happen in Oklahoma. I’m not very familiar with Castle Doctrine or Stand Your Ground in Texas.

Latest posts

Top Bottom