Son's first deer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SWRhodd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My 6 y/o son wanted to deer hunt this, so we have been practicing quite a bit with the .22's and the AR, since it's the only rifle that will adjust to him. He has been proficient enough that momma and I gave him the green light to go out.

Since I work youth weekend, my wife took him out this morning and they seen 9 doe's but no bucks. From the info I got, he was the hunter and momma had to follow his rules, lol. They stayed out until around 11 this morning. Even though he probably would have stayed out all day.

They went back out around 5 this evening and waited for the feeder to go off. Finally around 6:30 a couple of small bucks came in and he told his mom that either of those bucks will do. So mom got him set up and ready, he took aim and dropped this guy in his tracks. The shot was just over 100 yds and we both can't be more proud of him. I met up with them right after work and he even help dress the deer out.

Custom built AR in .223 shooting Barnes factory 55 gr. TSX

13704.jpeg
13728.jpeg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My 6 y/o son wanted to deer hunt this, so we have been practicing quite a bit with the .22's and the AR, since it's the only rifle that will adjust to him. He has been proficient enough that momma and I gave him the green light to go out.

Since I work youth weekend, my wife took him out this morning and they seen 9 doe's but no bucks. From the info I got, he was the hunter and momma had to follow his rules, lol. They stayed out until around 11 this morning. Even though he probably would have stayed out all day.

They went back out around 5 this evening and waited for the feeder to go off. Finally around 6:30 a couple of small bucks came in and he told his mom that either of those bucks will do. So mom got him set up and ready, he took aim and dropped this guy in his tracks. The shot was just over 100 yds and we both can't be more proud of him. I met up with them right after work and he even help dress the deer out.

Custom built AR in .223 shooting Barnes factory 55 gr. TSX

View attachment 177371 View attachment 177372
Awesome buck for your son! Pass on congrats!

SWRhodd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Super cool, congrats! Your 6 y/o shoots better than mine.

Thanks. It just takes time, determination and practice with the younger ones. But he caught on quick, it took no time for him to try out the AR after getting comfortable with the .22's. I was worried he would be scared after the first shot from it, but he wasn't and put 20 round through it the first time he shot without no worries. That really surprised me and how well he shot it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks. It just takes time, determination and practice with the younger ones. But he caught on quick, it took no time for him to try out the AR after getting comfortable with the .22's. I was worried he would be scared after the first shot from it, but he wasn't and put 20 round through it the first time he shot without no worries. That really surprised me and how well he shot it.
AR's have such a mild recoil that it's the perfect rifle for kids to start shooting centerfire.

SnowCamo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

That’s great. I took mine out to shoot turtles a few days ago with a 10/22. He’ll get there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom