Sooners featured in HBO documentary on academics, 'football degree'

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerBorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm sure most of it is based in truth. Sadly it is the status quo at every D1 public university among football and basketball players. Has been for decades.

Dexter Manley.

Sent from my meh, using my meh.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Every university that has an athletic program,,,
Has "light" degree programs for athletes,,,
Most are in the field of Education.

That actually makes a deal of sense,,,
They can obtain a 18 unit minor in coaching.

But mainly the athletes at OSU go for a degree in University Studies.

From the website:
The Bachelor of University Studies degree program allows a student to use the total resources of the University available to accomplish unique educational objectives. The program may or may not prepare a student for a particular occupation or for entry into a professional school.

I read "accomplish unique educational objectives" as,,,
Creating courses with a curriculum,,,
That is easy for them to complete.

Do I sound a bit bitter?
Dang right I do.

[START RANT]

I worked my butt off to get my BS and MS and the required/associated certifications,,,
The athletes are allowed to enroll in a "non-accredited" education major,,,
This won't even allow them to be a coach at a public school,,,
That's why the Coaching Sciences Minor was created.

Look, I know all of the arguments about how much time they spend in athletic practice/training,,,
But if the universities are simply training camps for the NFL and NBA hopefuls,,,
Just be honest about it and quit trying to snow the public.

With athletic department people assigned to each player,,,
Whose sole purpose is to chaperone them to class and monitor their coursework,,,
One would have to be a complete and utter nincompoop to flunk out and lose their eligibility.

This shouldn't be news to anyone,,,
Student athletes have always received special treatment,,,
And I for one am somewhat amazed that people still pretend that it's otherwise.

But I know that nothing will change this system,,,
The only reason the NCAA is even making a statement,,,
Is because someone in a major news program is covering it again.

[END RANT]

Aarond

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a lot of BS on here about how "most" student athletes enroll in BS degree programs. That is a load of horsecrap. MOST student athletes are using their skills to pay for college, not as a springboard to going pro. MOST student athletes play non-pro sports anyway. I have many, many student athletes over the years and most of them work hard to earn a degree

Norman681

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If anyone really cared what was going on it would have stopped long ago.....if Eric wasted his time getting a degree that's on him....hell there are a lot of degrees people get that don't get em a job after college......then they have to get a masters to get a job..I got a ba in psychology.....wanna know how many jobs require a ba in psych? None......so I say BOOMER SOONER.......

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's lots of degrees that could fall into this category.
The upside is the kid got a degree that he probably wouldn't have if not on a scholarship.
There's lots of jobs out there that just require a degree.
If they want to complain they can start at home for not taking ownership of their education.
High wages typically come from hard work, plain and simple.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There's lots of degrees that could fall into this category.

This. There are a ton of non-athletes who hold degrees in business management and liberal arts running around looking for work.

At least these football players got a degree on the cheap and had some fun doing it.

Mike Rowe has it right when he talks about the insane addiction to "higher education" we seem to have.

Last edited:

SoonerBorn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There is a lot of BS on here about how "most" student athletes enroll in BS degree programs. That is a load of horsecrap. MOST student athletes are using their skills to pay for college, not as a springboard to going pro. MOST student athletes play non-pro sports anyway. I have many, many student athletes over the years and most of them work hard to earn a degree

I specified two sports. Not most of all "student athletes".

Sent from my meh, using my meh.

Blinocac200sx

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Honestly, the football players aren't the only ones having trouble using their degrees to get jobs. Our country has put such an emphasis on getting a college degree, yet employers are looking for skilled labor, so there is a huge gap and glut. Too many people with higher ed degrees and not enough people who can do hands on jobs. On the upside, if these guys are getting more help in their educational experience because of the NCAA rules, sounds like the rules are doing what they were intended to do. It would be great to be altruistic and all, but when you get right down to it, higher ed is big business, and just like any other business, they need to turn a profit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom