Sooners rank No. 1 in overall BCS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We’ve always said that the BCS has been very good to the Sooners. That stance was mostly due to OU consistently reaching the national title game to the exclusion of someone with a similar argument. OU got in over Southern Cal in 2003, over Auburn in 2004 and over Texas in 2008.

But now comes even more evidence that the BCS, which has died quite the storied death, was good to the Sooners. Researcher Cody Kellner has studied the weekly BCS standings from 1998-2013, the length of its use, and found all kinds of interesting data.

“Ranking college football teams and recording data on Excel spreadsheets to determine unique trends and facts has always interested me,” Kellner wrote in a paper that was published by The College Football Historian, a newsletter produced by the Intercollegiate Football Researchers Association. “I have been posting the results of my college football ratings system online at www.kellnerratings.com since 2002 and I have always been fascinated with the Bowl Championship Series (BCS) and the various polls it included. My interests in tabulating statistics and the BCS is what prompted me to expand on what has been shown in the BCS media guide over the years regarding the weekly BCS standings dating back to 1998.

“Last spring, as college football prepared to enter the last year of the BCS, I decided to produce a comprehensive database of the weekly BCS standings for each school dating back to 1998 and maybe identify some interesting facts along the way.”

So here’s what Kellner tabulated

1. How many times each school has been ranked in the BCS standings;

2. How many different schools appeared in the BCS standings;

3. The best BCS ranking for each school;

4. The number of times each school has been ranked No. 1;

5. The all-time BCS standings using inverse point totals;

6. The number of times each school has held each BCS ranking.”

And here’s what he found.

The three teams with the most appearances in the weekly BCS standings are Texas (104), OU (100), and Florida (92).

Ninety-one schools appeared in the BCS standings from 1998-2013.

Seventeen schools have held the No. 1 ranking in the BCS standings. Only six of these teams did not win a national championship (UCLA, Kansas State, Nebraska, Oregon, Notre Dame and Missouri).

The four schools with the most No. 1 appearances in the weekly BCS standings are OU (20), Alabama (16), Ohio State (15), and USC (15).

Florida State is the only school to have held all 25 possible rankings in the BCS standings at some point in time. West Virginia held every possible BCS ranking with the exception of No. 1. OU held every possible ranking with the exception of No. 21 and Texas held every possible ranking with the exception of No. 8.

The most times for a school to hold a particular ranking in the BCS standings is Oklahoma’s claim to the No. 1 ranking 20 times. The second most is Alabama at No. 2 and Florida at No 4. both 17 times.

The all-time weekly BCS standings using inverse point totals are:

1. Oklahoma (20) 1,821

2. Ohio State (15) 1,626

3. Texas (3) 1,611

4. Florida (7) 1,596

5. LSU (10) 1,503

6. Oregon (1,462)

7. Alabama (16) 1,369

8. Southern (15) 1,338

9. Florida State (9) 1,285

10. Virginia Tech 1,201

11. Georgia 1,138

12. Miami (7) 1,130

13. Michigan 1,026

14. Nebraska 946

15. Boise State 937

16. Wisconsin 876

17. Kansas State (1) 8476

18. Tennessee (5) 836

19. Auburn (3) 817

20. Notre Dame (3) 780

21. TCU 732

22. Penn State 723

23. Stanford 721

24. Oklahoma State 680

25. West Virginia 544

So that’s a good list. OU ranks No. 1 over the last 16 years.

The article continues: http://newsok.com/oklahoma-football-sooners-rank-no.-1-in-overall-bcs/article/3940047

Hats off to the Sooners. Now let's fire Bob Stoops. :pissed:

carlstretch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a Sooner fan but this just tells me that they are overrated and the BCS scoring system was a joke. It was great to win one BCS title but we got run ruled against USC, manhandled by LSU and Tebow'ed by Florida. OU has had a great run with Stoops no doubt but there's no question they were ranked higher than their ability. Rankings don't mean anything,... titles do. Stoops has one,.. which is nice,.. not thrilling,.. but nice. (name that movie quote)

Latest posts

Top Bottom