Sorority? Close....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My hat's off to you, Dave. Oh, and more than once, I've seen a fellow wearing a U.S. Marine cap and given him a little grief about being a Jarhead.

Then I usually tell the story of going to the restaurant. Wife and I was going to a restaurant in Canon City, CO with her oldest sister and her husband. B-I-L was in the Air Force and always wore a cap with AF embroidery on it. A guy coming out of the restaurant holds the door for all of us, and he is wearing a U.S. Navy cap. Navy guy says, "Air Force, huh? Bus boys?"

I then step up and look at his cap and say, "Navy, huh? Deck Swabbers? I was in the Army and the cleaning we did was cleaning clocks."

Of course, I didn't mention that MY time in the Army wasn't in any combat arm.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So what was the intended purpose of this thread? To insult someone? I'm interested to know.
I thought it was funny, and most of the Marines I've known do have a sense of humor. Several others appear to have laughed as well.

For the record, my parents were both Air Force, and my jokes about them are a whole lot more pointed...and mostly culled from them.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Doesn't bother me. I have other things to deal with besides the harmless jokes of folks here. Besides; it is kinda true. How true would that be if it were replaced with Navy; Army; Air Force? Not so much. Long ago, an old Gunny told me that in a lot of ways, the USMC was the world's largest fraternity. That's pretty much true. There is a bond between us, those of you who were not fortunate enough to be Marines don't really understand that, and those of us who are Marines don't really want to try to explain it to you. I mean, you just aren't one.

(Edited: Actually, I think it's pretty cool and a bit interesting that Dave even knew enough about the Corps to make that quite true analogy. And the more I think about it, the more I get a chuckle out of it. Besides, I betcha old Dave wouldn 't get offended if we made a bunch of crappy lawyer jokes...would he? Speaking of that; do you know what you do with a dead lawyer? Use him as a doorstop).

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep. There it is. I can run into some old fart at Walmart, limpin' around with his old USMC ball cap on, a or see his crappy-ass old bulldog tattoo and instantly, I have a link to the guy.

Some navy guy toss a bad look your way, the fight is on.
Every military branch can make fun of the other with only a smile exchanged except swabbies and jarheads.

Latest posts

Top Bottom