Speaking of VA hearing aids

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back on the topic of hearing aids; I got my new Phonak hearing aids 2 weeks ago. I was concerned about the new brand because my old Oticon hearing aids had been so good. Let me tell you, the Phonac is a huge improvement. When it streams the TV, it gets the full range instead of just the higher frequencies. I have to be careful to remember that I am even wearing them. I could easily end up in the shower or pool with them still in my ears. Many thanks to the people at the OKC VA Audiology Clinic.
I'll ECHO that and have the same..

Lonewolf6

New to the site!
Reaction score
Posted this in another thread a while back with no response. Went back to the VA web site, it remembered me from when I was turned down in 2008 but didn't find anything on hearing aids. Should I call the number on the VA web site or will that just make me more frustrated?
I am going through Dale Graham. Since Covid-19 they are slightly delayed however I have heard nothing but really good stuff from them in getting our VA claims through the system. He is at least worth the look.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have it all mostly taken care of, waiting for my hearing aids which should happen on the 17th. VA approved my disability claim at 40% and just received my 2nd payment. This thread really helped me get through the hoops,.just wished I had known back in 08 what I know now.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wow just wow. Got my VA hearing aids today. First thing was when I got home and stepped out of the truck I heard birds I haven't heard in years, I now can hear the TV at my wife's volume level. They are a little uncomfortable but figure I'll get use to them over time. Gal at the VA said if I were to buy these same aids retail they would run 8 to 10 k, almost believable they have all the bells and whistles, still need to download the Android app and get everything working with my phone and the TV. Needless to say I am one happy guy...

Timmy59

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow just wow. Got my VA hearing aids today. First thing was when I got home and stepped out of the truck I heard birds I haven't heard in years, I now can hear the TV at my wife's volume level. They are a little uncomfortable but figure I'll get use to them over time. Gal at the VA said if I were to buy these same aids retail they would run 8 to 10 k, almost believable they have all the bells and whistles, still need to download the Android app and get everything working with my phone and the TV. Needless to say I am one happy guy...
LOL, it's wonderful yet annoying what I can hear now, pants dragging the floor, paper shuffling noises from my own mouth you name it, couple weeks and it's habit.. I'll leave out or pull
em out at times just so the environment isn't tooooo loud, on the dresser most of the weekend cause I'm active and using power tools and such.. If I may be so nosey what aids did you get ? I got the phonak audio p , spelt with an e but auto correct won't permit.. Congrats I hope you enjoy your new ears and they won't get larger as you age either lol..

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you do research, you can ask for any model aids you want. I asked for and got Starkly Halos. Tons of features. One of the neatest is the ability to translate 17 languages using an app. When I speak in English, the translation appears on the phone for them to read. When they speak it translates their language to English and sends the words via Bluetooth to the hearing aids for audio as well as visual.
I have an ear canal that is smaller on one side. The inserts we’re giving me headaches because they were so tight.
You can order your own inserts in different sizes and batteries by calling 303-273-6200. After getting your information, they will know what aids you have and what size batteries from your records.
You can also order wax protectors and cleaning kit replacements.
Once you get set up with a human, the automated system works great the next time batteries/supplies are needed.
New thing I got at the VA a month ago was a drying kit. When removing them at night, remove the batteries and put them on top of a foam pad in this plastic bottle. The desiccant will dry out any moisture overnight. When it turns pink by saturation, pop it into the microwave and reuse it. Moisture getting in the aids can cause issues.

Last edited:

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Starkey Livio edge ai, rechargeable, the ai is artificial intelligence. They supposedly learn your environment guess time will tell on that aspect. They also have a translate feature and can sense a fall and send a text to have someone come check on you. Doubt I'll ever use several of the features but nice they are available if needed. The phone app lets you adjust the volume and equalizer then save it plus lets you select one of the presets for different situations. The gal at the VA said she would order me the TV blue tooth adapter pus something for my phone that I didn't fully understand.

I did learn yesterday, if you don't stream audio from your phone you need to put it on speakerphone or you can't hear it. If you just hold it to your ear it's like you have ear plugs ln.

Decoligny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Posted this in another thread a while back with no response. Went back to the VA web site, it remembered me from when I was turned down in 2008 but didn't find anything on hearing aids. Should I call the number on the VA web site or will that just make me more frustrated?
If you have a DD-214, and no Service Connected Disabilities, there are still a couple thing the VA will do for EVERY VETERAN.

1. Free hearing test annually. If you need hearing aids, they will provide them free of charge, along with free batteries. They will upgrade them to the newest available technology every 4 years.

2. Free vision test annually. If you need glasses, they will provide you with a free pair every year.

You don’t have to wait to get a VA Disability rating for these free services.

Latest posts

Top Bottom