Speaking of VA hearing aids

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After spending some time on the VA web site and reading this thread discovered I was filling out the wrong form. I thought I had to apply for medical bennies before I applied for the hearing loss. Now I know one needs to go directly to the 21-526 as Hangfire stated above. Looks like I need to get a hearing test from some place to prove my hearing loss. Then I can finish filling out the form.

Unless things have changed in the past five years I did not have to submit proof / documentation stating that I had hearing loss along with the VA form 21-526EZ.......I sent in the completed 21-526EZ form along with a copy of my DD214 stating that I had what I felt was service related hearing loss and tinnitus and after 'X' period the VA contacted me via letter and told me to contact the OKC VA Audiology Dept. to arrange for a hearing test.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Close to the end of the form it asks for confirmation of your injury. Gives you 3 choices, VA doctor, private doctor and friends family stating you have an issue. It doesn't let you go any further till you satisfy one of the choices.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have hearing loss from Army and later Air Force service and have hearing aids provided by VA. I took my 90 something Father to OKC VA and got him hearing aids due to his WWII and Korean service. VA folks said there is no time line or cutoff to apply for compensation.. I have heard that you almost have to go either to American Legion, VFW or Oklahoma Dept of Veterans Affairs service officers to have them be your advocate with the VA. My dad and I both had a OK Dept of Veterans Affairs folks assist with and submit paperwork... All organizations above have internet resources to find local service officers for help. My dad and I both have had very good experiences with OKC VA folks once we got approved. Good Luck....

Harley1953 nailed it.
Go to a Veteran affairs service officer and have them be your advocate. They do this every day, know the correct forms to fill out and will set up the appointments wherever required. No charge to the applicant.
Absolutely the best option for the OP or anyone else in this thread to follow that has been having difficulty getting signed up with the VA.
I also have had great success with the OKC VA medical system.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe I need to do something different. While we were in Colorado, I tried to sign up with VA just to be registering. I wasn't even interested or in any way needing medical help. The Colorado VA just outright lost my "online" application. Then, while in Oregon, we went to a VA facility near Medford, OR to try again to "register." That time, I was told that the wife and I made too much money to qualify for VA services. Wife is still aggravated that they would look at the incomes for both of us instead of just what the veteran makes.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Contact the Patient Advocate, I worked with then during my tenure at the VA and they’ll help you. The next step would be the Director’s Office.

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've noticed Eargo is advertising hearing aids and calling our that they can be free for veterans and Federal gov retirees. Maybe you can go to them online and do the hearing test online and have them wrestle with the VA for compensation.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe I need to do something different. While we were in Colorado, I tried to sign up with VA just to be registering. I wasn't even interested or in any way needing medical help. The Colorado VA just outright lost my "online" application. Then, while in Oregon, we went to a VA facility near Medford, OR to try again to "register." That time, I was told that the wife and I made too much money to qualify for VA services. Wife is still aggravated that they would look at the incomes for both of us instead of just what the veteran makes.
If you make a million dollars a year, and you can prove a service connected disability, the VA will accept you.
Once again, do not apply directly to the VA. Use a veterans affairs service officer to advocate in your behalf.
If you were in a noisy environment, flight line, tanks, etc, and have tinnitus from that. It's almost an automatic 10% disability rating and rarely refused.
Here is another factoid. Like you Terry, I went to a VA meeting sponsored by the VFW I belong to and was told what you were told. Too much income.
There are some Veteran advocates that are better than others. The first one I ran on to filled out a bunch of forms, sent them in on my behalf, told me that I would shortly be receiving a ton of forms, and literature from the VA. I was instructed to toss the forms into the trash as he had already filled them out.
I got all the forms, and tossed them.
Hearing all the complaints on the news about the VA being slow, I didn't pressure anybody, just waited, and finally gave up.
A year and a half later, was driving by the American Legion and saw the sign the service officer was on duty so stopped in.
New guy, told him about applying and zero response. He checked my records finding the previous service officer gave me the wrong advice and I should have filled out the forms the VA sent me.
He filled them out for me and sent them in. Within two weeks I had an appointment with a medical doctor to see if there were any physical issues causing hearing loss, and then an appointment with a contracted audiologist for a hearing evaluation. A few weeks later the application was approved and I was in the system.
There is a regulation that states if you applied(the right way) and were denied, delayed or whatever and later found to be accepted into the VA your entitled to back pay from the day you first applied.
I got 1.5 years back pay. Disability payment are not taxable.

Dr. HK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I personally have experienced with local nonprofit VA disability assistance organizations. While I whole heartedly believe they do their best, they are not the fastest and not the most through. Out of frustration with them being closed for the pandemic I used a for profit company. Night and day in terms of quality and speed. The for profit assist you and you don’t pay a dime unless you get a VA disability. So my thought was it’s no skin off my nose, it’s money I am not getting now, why not go ahead and do it. I have been really happy with my experience. Anyone can contact me if they want to know more.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’m sure that I don’t have all my information straight, but my 92 year old grandfather that served during Korea never applied for any VA Medical medical benefits after his discharge. He currently receives VA Medical benefits which I believe he was able to sign up for during the Obama administration.

Everything that everyone else has posted sounds about right based on all my friends who have applied for and gotten VA medical benefits. You have to patient and persistent until you get what is owed to you.

LBnM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I retired I applied for hearing disability due to combat related noise. Was told my hearing was not impaired enough. Over time my hearing got worse and I called the VA. I was told I qualified for hearing aids. Now on my third set with free batteries. I've had excellent service from the VA.⁷

Latest posts

Top Bottom