Special Request

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finnished

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Howdy all,

This is probably out of the ordinary but I figured it'd be worth checking.

Last night our rooster got nabbed by an owl. Didn't expect to lose him but it is what it is. He was a really good rooster and maybe a bit of a pet. I told myself I'd hatch out a few eggs at some point to see how it turned out. Either way, I pulled out a few eggs from today and was hoping to see if anyone in the Bixby/Tulsa area had an incubator, preferably a large reliable one, that they wouldn't mind taking in a few eggs to hatch out for me. I'm willing to pay a bit of money to make it happen and drive to meet you. Thanks!

Logan

cowadle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
likely unfertilized. this time of year both the hen and rooster are at natural low fertility. but worth a try. can you candle them to see? they will keep for quite a while but don't wash them and keep them in a paper egg carton and set one end of the carton on a book or something about 3 inches thick. change ends of the carton that sits on the book every day.

Last edited:

Finnished

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
likely unfertilized. this time of year both the hen and rooster are at natural low fertility. but worth a try. can you candle them to see? they will keep for quite a while but don't wash them and keep them in a paper egg carton and set one end of the carton on a book or something about 3 inches thick. change ends of the carton that sits on the book every day.
I check the eggs daily to see the fertility. Thanks to the warm weather he has been fertilizing our hens nearly 100% even up until yesterday. Appreciate the insight on storage too, its a good reminder. Ended up buying an incubator myself, going to see how things go

Finnished

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well things have been so far so good. Day 14 of incubation and 7 of the 10 eggs are still kickin. The other 3 were yolkers but I don't blame that as much on the rooster as the hens since I gathered them days after fertilization

Finnished

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can fix ya up with a heavy weight rooster for $10 if ya need.
Thanks! I personally wanted to raise it up in an effort to make it more docile, at least towards me. We'll see how that works out of course but besides the rooster, incubating was on my list of things to give a try

Latest posts

Top Bottom