Speer shot capsules

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EKing

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always liked the idea of shot capsules from a handgun, have purchased some of the factory CCI rounds and fired them in 22lr and 45 Colt. My wife took a shot at a snake once at about 5 feet with a 22lr short barrel revolver but the pattern was too big and the snake just swam away unharmed.

I still like the concept so I ordered some Speer shot capsules and filled them with #7.5 shot. They weigh an average of 175 grains. Haven't loaded them yet, probably get to that in the next few days.

shot capsules weight.jpg 45 Colt shot capsules.jpg

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife took a shot at a snake once at about 5 feet with a 22lr short barrel revolver but the pattern was too big and the snake just swam away unharmed.
At 5ft, I'm guessing the pattern was too small and she just missed. Much the same with a shotgun, it takes a bit for the shot to scatter.

You can easily check shot pattern with a piece of cardboard or posterboard.

Luck. :drunk2:

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This video was posted a long times ago and I keep saying I’m going to try it, but I never get around to it.

45 ACP shotshells from .308 brass.

EKing

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This video was posted a long times ago and I keep saying I’m going to try it, but I never get around to it.

45 ACP shotshells from .308 brass.

Oh yeah, I've seen that before, that would be cool. I wonder how effective that thin cardboard is as a wad, seems like it would burn up in no time. He stated that he used 410 wads in previous loads, why switch to cardboard?

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
At 5ft, I'm guessing the pattern was too small and she just missed. Much the same with a shotgun, it takes a bit for the shot to scatter.

You can easily check shot pattern with a piece of cardboard or posterboard.

Luck. :drunk2:
When I got my first contender I had the 45/410 barrel. First shot at a piece of 3/4 plywood at about 50 feet. Had about 4'-5' pattern at least but almost all of the shot (#4 I think) bounced back at me. Surprised the heck out of me

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I got my first contender I had the 45/410 barrel. First shot at a piece of 3/4 plywood at about 50 feet. Had about 4'-5' pattern at least but almost all of the shot (#4 I think) bounced back at me. Surprised the heck out of me

It’s the rifling that’s scatters the pellets immediately after leaving the barrel causing the large patterns with obvious holes in the pattern.
Slow twist keeps a tighter pattern, but it’s still big.
I load the Speer capsules in .44 mag. Called the factory for load data. They said 6.5 grains of unique is the best. Killed a couple of rabbits with the shot shells using #6 shot but had to be less than 10’ away. Even then the rabbits only had a few pellets in them.

skyhawk1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The
It’s the rifling that’s scatters the pellets immediately after leaving the barrel causing the large patterns with obvious holes in the pattern.
Slow twist keeps a tighter pattern, but it’s still big.
I load the Speer capsules in .44 mag. Called the factory for load data. They said 6.5 grains of unique is the best. Killed a couple of rabbits with the shot shells using #6 shot but had to be less than 10’ away. Even then the rabbits only had a few pellets in them.
worst part is the choke you are supposed to screw in the barrel, it’s straight rifling and really screws the shot up

Latest posts

Top Bottom