Split a Bullet on an Axe!?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
That brings back a lot of memories shooting black powder shoots with my dad. Splitting the old round ball on the ax to break a couple of clays hanging on either side.

Owlcreekok

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
That brings back a lot of memories shooting black powder shoots with my dad. Splitting the old round ball on the ax to break a couple of clays hanging on either side.

Yep ! That (and this thread, as short as it is) just made my afternoon ! Brought back some fun memories. Splitting that ball to break the two clay is not easy, but not as difficult as it sounds. The game we would play with BP that took a LOT longer to win was what we called "The Stick Match". Each shooter had a 2x2 in a ground socket as his target. The first one to shoot the stick completely in two won the pot. Usually took everyone (ten shooters at a time in relays) a minimum of three shots. Average was about six shots. Distance was 50 yards. No supports allowed. Prone-sitting-kneeling-standing . The usual winner of that and the axe match was a 70 yr old with a great long Hopkins & Allen underhammer rifle.

okeydoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Jeff cooper did this (by accident, actually) with a high speed draw and hip shot, at 7 yds, in front of dozens of witnesses. it was a prank, the real shooters knew that if he hit the 18" plate (the pins in which held up 2 claybirds) the fragments of the bullet would break the clays. He had the axe in a vice and at the shot, it was rocked back and there was a grey lead smear on either side of the axe! He had armand swenson hardchrome it and then mounted it on his wall. :-)

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Jeff cooper did this (by accident, actually) with a high speed draw and hip shot, at 7 yds, in front of dozens of witnesses. it was a prank, the real shooters knew that if he hit the 18" plate (the pins in which held up 2 claybirds) the fragments of the bullet would break the clays. He had the axe in a vice and at the shot, it was rocked back and there was a grey lead smear on either side of the axe! He had armand swenson hardchrome it and then mounted it on his wall. :-)

I was there too. It was good joke to pull. Actually I thought Swenson nickel plated it; are you sure he hard chromed it?

okeydoke

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think Jeff said chromed, but that was 40 or so years ago that I heard it. Could have been nickel. Armand was noted for his chrome work, tho.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Me and Jesus used to go to Mardi Gras and tear it up.
It always ended up with him setting me up to do the dumbest things when I got too drunk. I tried to prank him a few times, but turns out his holiness can't get drunk no matter how many shots you feed him. Who woulda thunk it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom