Spring turkey season isn’t far off.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The flock of toms that hang around the house disappeared a while back. It appears they broke up. This Tom has a hen cut out that’s not in the pic. He’s been strutting and gobbling in the yard all morning.
2c5192641c5b86cd26a5b25ca907e33d.jpg

Personofinterest

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve never had the chance to taste the wild ones. Research says tough and stringy. What say you. Don’t mean to hijack the thread but am more than curious to hear the cumulative response... better to get a store bought? Assuming same technique is used in preparation to a thanksgiving bird.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I’ve never had the chance to taste the wild ones. Research says tough and stringy. What say you. Don’t mean to hijack the thread but am more than curious to hear the cumulative response... better to get a store bought? Assuming same technique is used in preparation to a thanksgiving bird.

No matter what anyone says, they're not a Butterball. Filet out the the breasts, cube, bread and fry or deep fry. As far as tenderness and flavor, Butterball every time........I've been eating the wild ones for over 30 years cooked every way possible. They are a blast to hunt though!!!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

To go along with okie4570, sometimes I’ll cut in strips, sprinkle with seasoning, then pound out with a meat hammer which also hammers the spices in, roll in egg wash, dip in flour, back in egg and one more time in the flour.
Deep fry if possible to make a turkey fry.
Serve the turkey fry in a sandwich with all the trimmings or solo with some mashed taters and gravy.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
To go along with okie4570, sometimes I’ll cut in strips, sprinkle with seasoning, then pound out with a meat hammer which also hammers the spices in, roll in egg wash, dip in flour, back in egg and one more time in the flour.
Deep fry if possible to make a turkey fry.
Serve the turkey fry in a sandwich with all the trimmings or solo with some mashed taters and gravy.
Pretty much how I do turkey and pheasant. I'll sometimes pressure cook them and get all the meat then do a turkey pot pie,mmmm

Latest posts

Top Bottom