Springfield Armory Hellcat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CGS1

I'm Retired, Do It Yourself.
Special Hen
Reaction score
I want to try one.
Im a police officer and if this is as they say I think it would be a great off duty carry option, once again if it truly is as springfield says.
There are a lot of carry options these days but springfield dose make a good pistol and this one holds 11 rounds and also comes with a 13 round magazine.
Yes I have a Glock 43X & G48. Would I put the Glocks aside and never carry them again if I purchased the hellcat? No. Just another option.
Worth a look IMO.

Last edited:

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In the video, two right-handed people are shown laying down their pistol on its right-hand side - one in a nightstand drawer, the other in a pistol safe. Wouldn’t it be smarter to lay it down on its left-hand side, so it’s easier to pick it up quickly without having to shovel one’s hand underneath?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In the video, two right-handed people are shown laying down their pistol on its right-hand side - one in a nightstand drawer, the other in a pistol safe. Wouldn’t it be smarter to lay it down on its left-hand side, so it’s easier to pick it up quickly without having to shovel one’s hand underneath?

There are a couple of theories on that. If you put it down for a strong hand on top grab, it's easier to pick up one handed, so that's naturally what most people do. However, the "scoop" method is more reliable for two reasons. First, as you slide your hand under the pistol, the web of your hand is better aligned with the back of the grip. Most people will need to use the support hand to get proper hand placement on the grip the other way, because the web is coming in from the side.

The other issue is under stress, most people have a tendency to come down hard on the gun as they grab it. The unintended consequence is frequently depressing the mag release, which dislodges the mag and prevents feeding the second round. I can't tell you how many times in competition I've seen someone grab a gun of a table or out of a drawer and only get one round off before the mag falls out. Not a good thing for sure.

So if you're going to have to use two hands at some point anyway, it's more reliable to place the tip of the off hand index finger on the front of the trigger guard, holding the gun in place as the firing hand slips under the grip and acquires a proper firing grip. As the gun comes out, all you have to do is drop the off hand index finger down as you clasp both hands together around the grip.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed explaination, GTG. What about wanting to have a flashlight in the support hand while picking up the pistol with the strong hand? I assume also you’re talking about pistols with ambi mag releases. Some only have it on the one side, or a revolver is used, so I would imagine it’s not an issue in that case?

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Seems like a pretty big stretch to think the Springfield Armory commercial is trying to showcase the latest and greatest tactical advantages. Likely the guys making the commercial know a lot about shooting commercials and little to nothing about shooting handguns.

Remember the HK advertisement with a magazine loaded with rounds in backwards?

Latest posts

Top Bottom