SpyPoint Cameras

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

$$$$$

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'm hoping i don't have to update it with the SD card very often. It was easy to do but would be a pain to have to retrieve it from the woods and hope the update worked right. Looks like it is working good right now but I'm not gonna get my hopes up too much based off what some of you are saying. Currently just gonna use it as a security cam on the chicken house in hopes that it will send me a pic immediately when something is trying to break in. I have it facing the back of the chicken house so it doesn't take chicken pics every minute. Then i'll put it in the woods in the fall.

Just checked and saw that mine is 4G. They give a free month of unlimited when you activate it. After that you have a choice of two or three plans. If you choose not to get a plan they automatically give you the free plan, which is 100 free pics a month. I think I will just stick with the free plan until September and then get the Hunt Plan, which is $25/mo for three months.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just checked and saw that mine is 4G. They give a free month of unlimited when you activate it. After that you have a choice of two or three plans. If you choose not to get a plan they automatically give you the free plan, which is 100 free pics a month. I think I will just stick with the free plan until September and then get the Hunt Plan, which is $25/mo for three months.

This tells me all I need to know about Spypoint, but I’m going to look up the particulars on all their plans just out of curiosity.

I’ve not kept up with all the cellular game cameras currently available, but my advice to anyone looking for one is to stay away from any camera that you have to buy your data plan from the manufacturer.

**EDIT**
From looking at the Spypoint website, it appears you have options and don’t have to just buy data through Spypoint. It appears their cameras can be set up directly with ATT or Verizon (whichever is compatible with your camera).

Last edited:

16colt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got this via email yesterday.
1794F84B-A077-4A3F-9947-55181872535F.jpeg

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know 2 folks who did the update today. 1 brought the cam home and after the update, it started working correctly. Camera was turned off and taken back to the field and wouldn't even turn on. The other user, I went with him to the field and after the update it took 2 pictures of us and nothing since. A chance that nothing is visiting the corn pile, but seems unlikely that not even a deer is hitting it in this weather. They usually hammer corn in cold.

Both received emails for 3 months unlimited data.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Consensus is that spypoint is hit/miss and Spartan is much more reliable?

I can really only speak for my experiences with Spartan camera which have been great, however, I’ve read some less than stellar reviews on them too.

I’ve read of more issues with Spypoints than I have positive experiences, but I think it’s safe to say that there can be a few “bad apples” with any mass produced electronic devices. It could just be the guys without issues don’t speak up like the ones with issues.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The places I want to put a camera only get 1-2 bars of service. Will that be enough? If not, do the directiom antennas do the trick?
Again, all I can speak about is my own experiences, but my place in Alfalfa county has sparse and spotty cell service. My cameras have worked surprisingly well, but every once in a while, one or more stop sending pictures and for whatever reason start again after a few hours. All I can figure is that it was an ATT/service problem.

Overall, MY cameras have operated well with only 1-2 bars of service.

Spartans have a “hello test” in the menu that allows you to check the service. If the “test” fails, more than likely the camera won’t send pictures.

Latest posts

Top Bottom