Squirrel hunting without killing a mama?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Come over, set a trap, u can take them home, start your own colony. Heck, I'll catch them and call ya. If you're not too far I'll deliver. I cant tell u how much i cant stand them. I loose to much paint on the house every year due to them crawling around.
I've thought about getting a recurve and having practice. Problem is they run the tops of the fence and too many windows in range not to mention woof woof.
Wish I could. Have too small of a yard at the moment. When we get into the home I’m hoping to buy in the next few years, I’ll hit you up on this.

chadh2o

Gunslinger
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wish I could. Have too small of a yard at the moment. When we get into the home I’m hoping to buy in the next few years, I’ll hit you up on this.
You too? We have been looking for a year. Currently live in town on a 80x120 lot. Missed 5 acres on S Western back in September, we were 20K apart and I froze. Still kick myself. Already had a 40x100 building with the house.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
You too? We have been looking for a year. Currently live in town on a 80x120 lot. Missed 5 acres on S Western back in September, we were 20K apart and I froze. Still kick myself. Already had a 40x100 building with the house.
Ah man that’s rough. I’m really hoping for 10-30 acres a little out of town. Old lady wants to build. We’ll see.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I dream of hunting squirrels in my back yard one day.
We have a 3 acre yard with pecan, walnut and Oak trees.
Squirrels are our friends.
The nasty walnuts and native pecan drop their leaves early leaving the canopy open
The squirrel population loves this habitat.
I used to destroy them during hunting season, but finally found out they are much more beneficial to clean up the fallen nuts than in our skillet.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man, I love squirrel, but rarely shoot them in the summertime. If the area you're hunting has much cattle nearby, the ticks will be ridiculous. WMAs or cattle-free areas are best in the summer. Kayaks/canoes are a great way to access some squirrel hunting without tick/chigger danger.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Launch into a small creek that runs through a WMA - squirrels love creek bottom trees and quietly floating through is very effective.
Indeed they do. Growing up, one large creek was the northern border of our place, and another smaller one teed into it from the south. We had lots of native pecan trees (and a few papershells near the house).

Probably 95% (or more?) of all the squirrels I shot was near one of the creeks, sitting on the ground and leaning against a tree.
:drunk2:

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got back into air guns during covid and have several rigs that would be great for squirrel hunting as long as the shot was close enough. However, although I have a large backyard, there are a lot of neighbors that can see in my yard from afar. I have a side yard that is private that I use as an airgun range, but I'm afraid they would call the cops if I was out in the main yard. But there is a huge greenbelt with a creek and trees to one side of my house and I could "probably" manage to slip into the woods and take a squirrel unnoticed by stashing one of the pumper carbines in a backpack. (But my wife would be mad at me and I probably wouldn't risk it anyway)

But I'd probably still love to have some squirrels to release in those woods. We have geese & ducks and coons, etc. that we enjoy seeing, but I rarely see any squirrels. Maybe this spring I will see if you have any to spare :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom