Squirrel hunting without killing a mama?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadh2o

Gunslinger
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
i would love to help you get rid of them....i will relocate them to my freezer.
All yours.
Is it possible to catch more than one in a cage at a time? I have never had the luck of 2+. Fiesty sobs, gotta hang on to the trap otherwise they knock it out of your hand.

chadh2o

Gunslinger
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve got an extra trap or two if you guy need it.
Thanks. I have 2, but carrying 2 in the backseat of the jeep doesn't work well. I have a mat that fits one cage that I put under so they don't crap on the seat while transport to the river.
Open the door and gone to the nearest tree. They don't even look back.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've considered getting an air rifle. I played with one of those airforce air rifles a few years back. I wouldn't mind ponying up the extra cash for one.

That's probably the top of the airgun game...very costly, I'm staying humble for now so I can be closer to what I used when I was a kid. It is amazing what you can do with a sub 100 dollar gun. HOWEVER, when I think of airforce, I think of big bore and hog hunting so that's a whole different area of airguns I have never explored.

Consider the .22 cal air rifle rather than the .17 cal.
Either will work if u hit a squirrel in the noggin but bigger seems better. It may not be as accurate though so may wanna research that.

A lot depends on intent and budget. A lot of the issues with 22 can be overcome with a more expensive rifle...A lot of the issues around 22 are using the same power plant as 177. On a lower-end gun, some people would rather have the accuracy that comes with the faster, flatter 177. But if you have a high-end gun that has plenty of power for the 22, then the 22 can better overcome the complaints and shoot flatter.

Otherwise, if not getting something like a Benjamin Armada PCP rifle in 22, you can just keep your shots closer out of a lower-powered 22 gun.

ORRRR, you can just use heavies in the 177 and have the best of both worlds to some degree. You need 5-6ft/lbs (at range) for a clean kill on a squirrel from my research. A 10.5gr 177 pellet out of a decent powered rifle can make up for a lot.

But CHenry is correct about 22 having more "thud". As long as shots are close, or you have a higher-powered gun to push the 22. You just don't want something pushing a 22 that can't penetrate well at range. I'd take a 177 over 22 for a longer shot out of the SAME power plant; especially a 177 w/ the right weight pellet.

Latest posts

Top Bottom