SS card needed for fishing license

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ihre papieren, bitte?

We already have drivers licenses and the Patriot act and NSA are more intrusive than a national ID scheme. They've already got records of all your internet usage and every phone call, not to mention probably all other manner of records on you.

A national ID would only serve to identify you and would be much safer than using a social security number which was never designed to be used as a unique ID number.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was surprised I had to give out so much information for an Arkansas fishing license this week. Was a bit trepidatious about giving out my SSN and all while on a cellular connection in the middle of the lake (I forgot to buy my licenses the night before - oops!, lol) but had no other real choice. <sigh>

BTW, striper fishing is AWESOME!

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Social Security numbers as a means of identification is stupid. I can make a social security card on my printer.

what we really need is some form of national ID or just use state ID.

Are you able to duplicate the security features in the SS card? Yes, there are several. Oklahoma has been granted several extensions from the feds because our state ID (Driver Licenses and State ID card) don’t meet federal requirements, so that may take awhile.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was surprised I had to give out so much information for an Arkansas fishing license this week. Was a bit trepidatious about giving out my SSN and all while on a cellular connection in the middle of the lake (I forgot to buy my licenses the night before - oops!, lol) but had no other real choice. <sigh>

BTW, striper fishing is AWESOME!

You can keep a pic of your Arkansas fishing license as proof.
In Ok, a phone pic of your license isn’t valid unless something has changed recently.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The correct full citation is: 42 U.S. Code § 666(a)(13)

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/42/666

By law they're required to provide a copy of The Privacy Act Disclosure* explaining:
  1. whether the disclosure is mandatory or voluntary,
  2. by what statutory or other authority the SSN is solicited, and
  3. what uses will be made of the number.
If they utilize authorized representatives to collect the SSN, the authorized rep must also provide a copy of the disclosure by law.

* The Privacy Act of 1974 (Pub. L. 93-579, in section 7)

And yes, I did notice the U.S. Code number they used. I think I might've went with a different number, considering the public concerns about SSN's being a "Mark of the Beast". :rolleyes2

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As long as I can remember states have been asking for SS numbers for hunting and fishing license. The purpose behind this? From my understanding: It serves as an individual identifier to prove to the federal government exactly how many hunters and fishers the state has.

Why is this important? The Pittman Roberts and Dingell Johnson acts that take excise tax on outdoor equipment. The states must show exactly how many outdoorsmen they have to get their distribution of the excise tax.

Now physically producing a SS card and not simply the number? I have never heard of a state doing this!

Latest posts

Top Bottom