Star BM Short Review

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I refinished a really old .410 for my Dad a few years ago. If everything I bought for that project is still usable, I may give it a whirl. If so, I'll start with the slide and see how it goes.

I carried the Star all day yesterday and didn't even notice it. Today looks to be a little warmer, so I'm going to take her back out and run through a couple of boxes of 124 grain.

Pokem807

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Did a little work on the slide this morning, mainly to clean up the barrel bushing. After stripping the slide and letting it sit in white vinegar, I hit it with sand paper and steel wool; then a few applications of Oxpho-Blue.

After reassembly I ran another 100 rounds through her. I had one stovepipe during rapid fire, which I attribute to dragging my left thumb on the slide. Other than that she ran like a top.

I’m going to knock a bit off of the hammer spur, because it bit me pretty good today.

Edit: This evening as I was cleaning the BM, I realized that I didn't apply any lubricant when I reassembled it after bluing the slide. There was some residual on the frame, but that one stovepipe doesn't bother me as much now. What a maroon...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

jmike314

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It was a bit cold, but I bundled up and got out to shoot on Sunday.

The BM ran great. Was worried about the sights since I had to remove the rear set to replace the firing pin but I’m either some kind of freakish expert or just a lucky SOB - sights were lined up just fine. At 10-15 yards, it put a hole where I was aiming. Had a couple of feeding issues but that cleared up after I finished off the last of some super cheap HP ammo. Ran ball ammo without issue. Gun seemed to act better with each new mag I put through it. I like it. I’ll probably have it with me whenever I hit the range. Great deal at 200$.

“Crying is for babies, little girls, and men who just had their ears ripped off.”
- Winston Churchill

Billybob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I purchased one of those BM sets. Came in the factory translucent plastic box, 2 mags, Spanish language instruction booklet, cleaning rod.
By the time shipping and transfer is figured in, I've got about $250 in it also.
The right side of the slide, and receiver too, have a pea-sized circle milled into the steel. Apparently some sort of ID Mark was removed. No big deal. The new serial number marked in it is seriously ugly, but doesn't interfere with operations. Besides, I can't see it from the firing position.
I ran about 100 rounds through mine right after purchase. I did strip it too inspect, but didn't clean it. Before shooting it again, I'll clean it. Trigger was gritty, but broke clean. Accuracy was so-so, but that was probably me - I was in a hurry.
It's very similar to my Astra A-70, but slightly larger. The BM is 8+1, the A-70 is 7+1.

I like them both.

The marks removed were likely the symbol for Guardia Civil, my son's still has the markings on it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_Guard_(Spain)

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Well I took the Star BM out last weekend while running some ammo through the P365. The BM shoots smooth and accurate. Only shot a couple mags on steel. But I like it! Fits an old cheapie 1911 commander holster like it was made for it.

Noticed a cool little feature on the mag. There is a little tab that protrudes from the base of the mag when it is fully loaded and inserted into the gun.

39BFAEA3-60A0-4A94-B9D4-C1CCC48C01BE.jpeg

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I received one in a "horse trade" with a friend about a month ago. Far more accurate than I am, and very smooth trigger, etc. this one will stay with me for awhile. Glad you guys posted this thread and reminded me about the one I had many years ago!

Latest posts

Top Bottom