Started a plate rack

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What part were you having problems with?
Tried using tension assist springs but got frustrated. Went to a tree but they tended to just go far enough to not have a shot at.
Poor people got poor ways. Going to try something this spring that I think I'm going to like but going to play with it before I make an ass out of myself. I like to tinker but that don't make me a great tinkerer.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Repeated hits in large volumes will cause almost any weld to crack. Try to design the plates without welds.
I spend a lot of time every month re-welding steel targets from our range. I'm guessing harmonics from the hits generate the cracks.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Repeated hits in large volumes will cause almost any weld to crack. Try to design the plates without welds.
I spend a lot of time every month re-welding steel targets from our range. I'm guessing harmonics from the hits generate the cracks.

I figured they would. But I have welders and the rack will be close to the house so its not a big deal. Ill learn with this one.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
if its your personal rack, you will likely never see the cracks. Ours gets hammered during matches and the general membership gets to shoot it at their leisure when matches are not being held. Lots of use, and no springs to cushion the fall.
Its getting pretty ugly after 10 years or more of service. LOL. It gets rebuilt by volunteers on occasion.
I used to have some pics saved from the plate rack at the OKC Gun Club on the cowboy shooters bays that I took one day. If I can find them, I'll post. They had a pretty good design.

Latest posts

Top Bottom