Started a plate rack

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A chain hook welded to the back of the target stand above plate. A chain hook welded to the back of the plate. A section of baler belt cut to length wih slit cut on each end for hooks to fit into. You can cut it all with a box knife and you dont need any tools. Bullets cant hit chain hooks. Welds may stress on the hook on the plate but not a big deal. No bolts to accidentally shoot.
A chain hook welded to the back of the target stand above plate. A chain hook welded to the back of the plate. A section of baler belt cut to length wih slit cut on each end for hooks to fit into. You can cut it all with a box knife and you dont need any tools. Bullets cant hit chain hooks. Welds may stress on the hook on the plate but not a big deal. No bolts to accidentally shoot.

Round baler belt is a lot like conveyor belting. About 8" wide and long as hell.

Been down this road. The chain hooks shatter after being welded on, and its not by being hit by the bullets. Its the material and harmonics I believe, as they were on the back of the plate and out of sight, Keeping in mind that these are shot with .300 win Mag, and possibly even bigger.
If your going with CF Pistol and .22, should work great. We also used conveyor belting. Very durable, good choice on the belting.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I said chain hooks but I was actually thinking the hooks that are on comealongs. Like a winch line hook. Has the safety flap on them. Those seem a lot softer and not as brittle. I may be completely wrong though and they may fail as well.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I said chain hooks but I was actually thinking the hooks that are on comealongs. Like a winch line hook. Has the safety flap on them. Those seem a lot softer and not as brittle. I may be completely wrong though and they may fail as well.
If they aren't as brittle you may have the best Idea.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's the process of learning. Bolts tend to get the heads shot off. If one uses Grade 8 bolts, they seem to last a little longer.
Did you have your plates water jet cut?

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had some stuff come up and was stuck at the house pretty much all day so my buddy pretty much finished the plate rack today. I have a short video of it on my phone but honestly dont know how to get it on here.

Latest posts

Top Bottom