Started Building the Range

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, I started working on my range. I need to dig into the slope and move the dirt to the top/downrange end. It's gonna be a challenge for a few reasons... First, I don't really know what I'm doing. Second, all I have is a compact tractor with a bucket and a box blade. A rear blade would be really nice but I'm having a helluva time finding one that I want and will work with my tractor.

So far I've just been busting up the ground with the teeth on the box blade then scooping it up with the bucket and hauling it up to the top. It's working it's just a slow process. Should be about 75 - 80 yards long and about 10 yards wide. I'll eventually move an old steel carport from the house to use as a shelter over the shooting end.

Hard to tell what's going on in the pic...taken from the downrange/berm end:
Day 1.jpg

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This pistol part of the range is finished aside from moving some target stands and benches up there. 40-ish yards. I'll add another 40 yards eventually behind the current handgun shooting line. Then, if I'm really motivated, I can back out another ways and get at least 200. I'll have a narrow lane right along that fence line.

I could've really used a larger tractor for this...but the little John Deere did a pretty amazing job considering all I have is a bucket and a box blade. 40 yards from just in front of the tractor to the flat spot in front of the berm. Nothing behind the berm for 1 mile except for thick trees and a hill. I'll continue to add height to the berm as it settles and as I get more dirt.

Day 3 A.jpg

Day 3 B.jpg

Last edited:

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great job!
Mine is a little different. I graveled my lane.

That would be nice. I'll probably put some gravel down eventually at the shooting line. But this is at the very back side of my property and getting a dump truck with gravel back there will be a problem. And hauling it a bucket at a time from some place a truck can dump a load will take way too much effort.

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That would be nice. I'll probably put some gravel down eventually at the shooting line. But this is at the very back side of my property and getting a dump truck with gravel back there will be a problem. And hauling it a bucket at a time from some place a truck can dump a load will take way too much effort.
Well, it's a good looking shooting spot that's for sure. I know you will enjoy it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom