Starter setup, i bit the bullet

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Finally talked myself into acquiring reloading equipment and going to try and learn what I can. Lee Breechlock Challenger Kit from BP. It has the single stage press, auto prime, powder measure, scale and some misc accessories. I realize it is a bottom end kit but I want to take my time and learn the in's and out's before really jumping in with more equipment.
Of course the kit says all I need is dies to get up and running. Puchased Lyman carbides at the same time (comments?) and laid everything out on kitchen table to familiarize myself with what is what.
Manual says install the shell holder on the end of the ram, hmmmm only shellholder in the kit just sits on top of the ram, I don't think this is correct thinks the newbie. Ok, sure enough, that shellholder goes to the primer. Figured that out by my lonesome, now where is the shellholder that they say to install.
Read the fine print doofus, die set box says it needs shellholder X-12, , , , , I am going to assume this should work and be a drop in part.
Is that the Lyman part number? All shellholders are pretty typical? RCBS, Hornady, etc etc will work as long as for a 9mm Luger??
Bought 100 Extreme 115 grn RN bullets at Wannemachers this afternoon, SPP (cci) at BP this evening and I already have a few hundred empty 9mm brass ....... powder, reloading book and patience is all I need?

DNO

archer

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
All modern presses utilize the same shell holders and dies. The shell holder number for a given caliber may vary from brand to brand. You will want to eventually upgrade your press. Lee makes some fine dies and accessories, but the presses are not known for being very rugged.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I've had a few minor issues with my turret press from lee, but their customer service have been great. Load thousand of rounds on it without any real trouble from the press. Had a discharge while priming, but it was operator error, not the press.

Loaded 500 rounds for 357 yesterday. (Shot them all today! ) it's no speed demon, but I'm happy with it.

Goathead

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the same kit the LEE dies sets come with the shell holder in the die set, so when you buy lee dies you don't have to buy the shell holder .. My self since I'm new I'm staying with same maker in till I get better at it, and I fine the short cuts between company's so all lee for me

lkothe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Had it in my head to go ahead and get equipment since I had a few BP gift cards. Lyman was the only carbide dies there at the moment. Live and learn. Got press mounted on work bench tonight so it's search for a shell holder tomorrow and possibly get lucky and find some powder in the near future. See if I can get a system worked out.

DNO

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lots of powders out there for the 9mm. Don't get stuck looking for one in your search. Down load and check out the online powder manufactures web sites, and start your search.

I "used" to look for the powder that offered the highest velocity with the smallest amount of powder when reloading rifle, but in pistol, the amount of powder used is so small, that you need to get what you can find. When this mess is over, you can fine tune your loads with the powder of your choice.

Again, If you have questions, ask.

Latest posts

Top Bottom