Starting a raised bed garden

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here's a pic of how I did mine. 6"x6"x8' treated timbers. 2 high. Drilled 3/8" holes and drove down 2' rebar to help keep together(probably should've used 3' and maybe 1/2"). Still have some warping after 4 years. I have the bailing wire up to keep the dog out(and to trip my wife...shhhh). You could put some chicken wire along the bottom and be able to step over. BUT, I think chickens can get a couple feet off the ground so not exactly bird proof.

I wouldn't worry too much about the squirrels but then again we have a dog. Never known squirrels to eat tomatoes or okra.

Yes, I'd get the manure/dirt into your beds this winter. As for ratio of mixing, guess that depends on how "hot" your feedlot dirt is(how much manure vs dirt). Will let someone else give input there. I used rich mix from a place in packing town then add a little booster each year.

Gardens are fun and much like anything else you get back what you put into it.
Fought squirrels non stop for last 4 years since I moved in this house to the point im going to start trapping them and shooting them in the cage. Yes the do eat tomatoes mostly when green they will take a bite or two and leave them laying. year before last had several huge plants The got pretty much every on before it ripened.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t eat squirrels and about half look to have mange or something missing a lot of fur also very over populated but in the neighborhood im limited to what i can do. The police were out last year for a robbbery and saw my pellet pistol laying in the garage i said that’s for the squirrels and they said be sure your not shooting at any of the neighbors homes !

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well you think I have a grub worm problem?

Just purged a couple of my half barrel (26 gal) planters. I had squash in it last year.

Now unplug the drain holes and replace some top soil and add some black know to get it back into condition 😁 That's one planter since last year.

Attachments

• 20220505_092327.jpg
    20220505_092327.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 10

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My tomato plant is doing good and my zucchini, yellow squash and green beans are all coming up. My wild onions are doing great.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Radishes are doing well and tasting good , along with my cherry tomatoes in my hydroponics garden. I figure cherries in month at most along with blueberries. I’ve already got strawberries.

Attachments

• 20220429_154421.jpg
    20220429_154421.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 10

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well you think I have a grub worm problem?

Just purged a couple of my half barrel (26 gal) planters. I had squash in it last year.

Now unplug the drain holes and replace some top soil and add some black know to get it back into condition 😁 That's one planter since last year.
fishing time.

ttown

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
fishing time.
No joke. In fact the earthworms will be getting fried on the roads in a few days, nothing like worm jerky 🤭 I meet an old boy that pick these up some years ago.

Man they’re like leather but for bait fishing your bait not going missing, pan size catfish love em.😆

tynyphil

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My next raised bed will incorporate‘ huglekulture’. This is done by putting logs or larger limbs in the bottom then twigs and leaves then a manure topped off with soil. Holds moisture better and breaks down over a long period of time to compost.

as for squirrels, yes they are good at harvesting. My garden is surrounded by a hot net fence only 30” tall that I can step over but is very effective keeping squirrels and rabbits out. Check out the net fence at premier1supplies.com. Can be put Up and taken down in minutes.

Last edited:

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
My next raised bed will incorporate‘ huglekulture’. This is done by putting logs or larger limbs in the bottom then twigs and leaves then a manure topped off with soil. Holds moisture better and breaks down over a long period of time to compost.

this is what I’m doing. Just filled my first ever raised bed up today. Gonna try my hand at gardening and see what I can do

Latest posts

Top Bottom