Starting In Once More

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shoot a lot of USPSA pistol comps on weekends, so went from the rock chucker to a full Hornady LNL progressive. The full progressives can still be used as a single stage. I load one die in the top and start indexing them around to deprime and bell the mouth, then advance to the primer loader.
Use the stand alone powder dispenser to add powder, and then put the seating die in to finish pressing in the bullet and crimping.
The Hornady has a double compound that pulls easier on rifle rounds than a Rock Chucker.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My Lee press just arrived. Plus the riser adapter and the dies. So, as soon as I get it set up, I'll be able to start cranking the rounds out.

Last edited:

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I shoot a lot of USPSA pistol comps on weekends, so went from the rock chucker to a full Hornady LNL progressive. The full progressives can still be used as a single stage. I load one die in the top and start indexing them around to deprime and bell the mouth, then advance to the primer loader.
Use the stand alone powder dispenser to add powder, and then put the seating die in to finish pressing in the bullet and crimping.
The Hornady has a double compound that pulls easier on rifle rounds than a Rock Chucker.

Part of why I want to get a Hornady LnL AP. The Dillon 550 I have is a pain to use in single stage. Less so than the 650 from what I understand, since it's manual indexing, but still not convenient.

I still have and use a Lee Turret (an old 3 hole model that has loaded untold thousands of rounds), and from what I can find, nothing touches the Lee for bang-for-buck versatility.

My Lee press just arrived. Plus the riser adapter and the dies. So, as soon as I get it set up, I'll be able to start cranking the rounds out.

Excellent! How many calibers did you set up for?

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Part of why I want to get a Hornady LnL AP. The Dillon 550 I have is a pain to use in single stage. Less so than the 650 from what I understand, since it's manual indexing, but still not convenient.

I still have and use a Lee Turret (an old 3 hole model that has loaded untold thousands of rounds), and from what I can find, nothing touches the Lee for bang-for-buck versatility.

Excellent! How many calibers did you set up for?

So far, I have dies for 38 special, and believe it or not, 32 S&W Long and I also have a peck or two of 45 ACP wheelguns that need to be fed as well. So the 45 dies will be next on the order form. Oh, and the turrets, etc., of course.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I have a Lee bullet mold for .32 cal., and some cast bullets from the same. I keep thinking I'm going to find a .32 revolver to run them in. LOL!

They came with the reloading setup (my Father-in-Law's), and I think they came with it when he got it (used).

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Finally got the press mounted on the bench. It was tough to do as I don't have a drill, but after a long hard battle it is on the bench. I made a primer-catcher tray by cutting a 1 inch section off the bottom of a plastic pop bottle, and since I raised the press up about an inch and a half off the bench using nuts for spacers, I can catch the spent primers in the improvised tray. It seems to be pretty solid.

Now all I have to do is install and adjust the dies and the powder measure, and I'll be in business. That should be fairly simple.

I have a good, mild mid-range load I use for 38 Special and it is a real nice load to shoot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom