Starting out reloading

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tloudy

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

So i am debating on purchasing some reloading goods due to the cost of ammo. I was wanting some good/bad, do/don't on reloading equipment and techniques. Would it be better to buy a starter kit? Or peace together new and or used equipment?

Thanks in advance!
Tloudy

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought the hornady lock and load delux kit that comes with every thing as far as equipment still trying to get time to build a bench to get started the book it comes with answers ALOT of questions

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well i will throw my 2 cents out there; when i started i had a guy on a gun forum that i had become friends with and we would sit around in the early morning and chat in a chat room, since apparently we were the only 2 that was up at such early hours of the mornings, and we got to talking about reloading and such, he was from a family of long time reloaders, so one day i said i would like to get started reloading if i just knew what and where to get started with so about a week later i had a package in the mail he had ordered the Lee single stage starter kit and had it sent to my door and he more or less talked me thru the steps of reloading in a chat room. I still have most of that kit that i use on a regulor basis but have added a few things here and there to make it smoother. plus have added 26 more sets of dies along with 15 different molds to cast with and much much more things to go along with all of it. You dont save money by reloading cause you are always buying more stuff but it is relaxing and a nice hobby to get into.

So from my stand point i would say yes a starter kit does have nearly everything that you need to get started with, but you will need a few items that dont come with a kit.
The very first thing i tell new reloaders is to find the Lee Modern reloading book and read it, it goes into detail of all the steps of reloading and also has most of the loading data in it to load with.

I know i left something out so may add more later.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I started reloading in December and went cheap so as not to spend a lot on something I hate. Needless to say I enjoy loading so I am spending a little here and there to add to what I originally bought.
I started with lee breach lock single stage, lee beam scale and lee carbide dies I bought the 4 die set which I feel may not be needed after learning more about the 3 die sets, but I will pay the extra $12 to always get the 4 die set....
I bought a Lyman 49th edition loading manual and have 2 more on PDF on my desktop.
The lee loader has the capability of getting extra die bushings so you can set your dies, once you figure out your load, permanently in the bushing and then it is just switch out with a quick twist to get the next die in.(always double check your measurements to make sure nothing moved)I also bought the lee primer die that works well.
I read everything I could before starting and asked a bunch of questions here and on a couple of other gun/reloading sites. Lots of varying info out there especially in the powder charge area so be careful in that info some folks will give you. Understand that every gun is different and what works for them may trash your pistol lol.
Lee is cheap but it works and if you decide you hate loading you have very little money out of pocket.
Oh yes dont cheap out on your caliper and make sure you get one that reads to the .000 as I have a pretty little caliper hanging on my wall that only goes to .00. The OAL( over all length) in my Lyman manual calls for 1.275 and so I was all excited once I got everything set up and went to set my OAL the first time and had a little issue lol

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Also I have the Lee modern reloading 1st and 2nd edition in PDF format if you want them send me a PM with your email addy and I will send them to you. Also have a pdf about bullet casting as well.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started reloading in December and went cheap so as not to spend a lot on something I hate. Needless to say I enjoy loading so I am spending a little here and there to add to what I originally bought.
I started with lee breach lock single stage, lee beam scale and lee carbide dies I bought the 4 die set which I feel may not be needed after learning more about the 3 die sets, but I will pay the extra $12 to always get the 4 die set....
I bought a Lyman 49th edition loading manual and have 2 more on PDF on my desktop.
The lee loader has the capability of getting extra die bushings so you can set your dies, once you figure out your load, permanently in the bushing and then it is just switch out with a quick twist to get the next die in.(always double check your measurements to make sure nothing moved)I also bought the lee primer die that works well.
I read everything I could before starting and asked a bunch of questions here and on a couple of other gun/reloading sites. Lots of varying info out there especially in the powder charge area so be careful in that info some folks will give you. Understand that every gun is different and what works for them may trash your pistol lol.
Lee is cheap but it works and if you decide you hate loading you have very little money out of pocket.
Oh yes dont cheap out on your caliper and make sure you get one that reads to the .000 as I have a pretty little caliper hanging on my wall that only goes to .00. The OAL( over all length) in my Lyman manual calls for 1.275 and so I was all excited once I got everything set up and went to set my OAL the first time and had a little issue lol
I have a set of MAHR digital calipers for sale in the classifieds.

I think anyone starting to reload should start on a single stage press and learn every step.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For what it's worth -

I started reloading in the late 1980s, on a Lee hand press, loading 9mm. I graduated to a Lee single-stage within a year. I started reloading several other handgun calibers also.

Much, much later, I used 2 single-stage presses, mounted side by side, to increase output. I batch-loaded, i.e.; size 50 cases, prime those 50, bell and charge those 50, seat and crimp.

Just this past year, I purchased a Lee Classic Turret, which puts me in tall cotton ! I can easily load 150 rounds/hour with it, starting with cleaned brass.

Whichever brand you choose, I would recommend a single-stage press to get started on. It takes more time, what with switching out dies and whatnot, but it forces you to understand each step of the process. Face it, we're not making lollipops here, we are dealing with potentially dangerous materials.

I have been perfectly happy with my Lee presses. I have other brands of ancillary equipment, and generally am happy with what I have.

If you choose the Lee started kit, I also recommend a better scale, perhaps an RCBS 5-0-5. The Lee scale works fine, it's just awkward.

Latest posts

Top Bottom