Starting out reloading

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Reloading allows one to "tune" your load to your rifle. A lot of folks don't understand the relationship of bullet weight and rifle twist.
They buy a rifle, put some rounds down the pipe and say it shot like a shotgun when in actuality, the gun is a tack driver with the correct load and bullet.
Once you find that sweet spot where bullet/powder/twist rate become one and live in harmony, You've reached your goal as a reloader for that gun.
Then you move on to the next challenge.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This^^^^^, always recommend you learn on a single stage press even if it is someone else's. Then move on up to a progressive as you get truly familiar with the loads you are making. I started on a rock chucker a longggg time ago and never regretted it. Many precision competitors use single stage presses as they feel it allows for absolute certainty of primer seating, powder weight and bullet seating and crimp. I now have a progressive and usually use it as a single stage for Bullseye rounds. Then I unleash the beast and crank out a few hundred plinkers for the 9mm pistols in a few short minutes. You will enjoy the loading as it challenges ya and allows you to create any load you desire for your caliber.

This^^^.

I started with an RCBS Rock Chucker kit back in the early 90's. I recommend this kit to anyone starting to reload. It comes with everything you need except the components. Mine also included a Speer Manual. As others have said - read and understand the manual before attempting to handload. I still use that Rock Chucker press to this day for precision rifle loads and for depriming before cleaning the case with SS pins. ThenRoxk Chucker is built like a tank and will last a lifetime. All other metallic cartridge loading is done with an RCBS Pro 2000 progressive press.

Regarding shotshells, the standard beginner setup is a MEC 600 jr; it's a great single stage press. I still occasionally use my 600 jr for hunting loads. But, for the 4K or 5K Registered Skeet targets I shoot each year, the MEC 9000 progressive presses for 12, 20, 28, and .410 are hard to beat.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I found the list below from a few years ago when I was working up my needs to start reloading. I found an awesome deal on a Redding T-7 Turret press on craigslist for $100. I didn't realize what a deal I was getting until I started using it. The list below didn't include many items like brass or bullets, Cabelas was handy for all that. I've since invested in RCBS Chargemaster that has made my life much easier also. Next upgrade is a Frankford Arsenal Platinum Case trim and prep center. My advice is to watch many videos, read, and take your time.

Dillon Rifle Die Set 308 - 15574 $76.99
RCBS #3 Shell Holder $10.64
Lee Precision Auto-Prime XR $28.60
Lee Precision Auto Disk Powder Measure $36.93
Lee Precision 308 Collet Die Only $23.99
Lyman Reloading 308 Win Case Length/Headspace Gauge $21.49
Frankford Arsenal Quick-N-Ez Impact Bullet Puller $12.44
Lee Precision Safety Scale (Red) $28.48
Lee Precision Powder Funnel $4.82
Lyman 49th Edition Reloading Handbook $18.77
Hornady Powder Trickler $11.49
Frankford Arsenal Electronic Digital Caliper $18.99
Lyman Case Prep Multi Tool $21.66
Lyman Universal Trimmer with 9 Pilot Multi-Pack $84.99
Hornady One Shot Spray Case Lube with DynaGlide Plus (7 fl Oz Aerosol) $8.97
American Weigh Scales GEMINI-20 Portable MilliGram Scale, 20 by 0.001 G $21.87
MTM Universal Ammo Loading Tray Red (includes one tray) $6.99
Total: $497.10

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless you already shoot an ungodly amount of rounds every month, you are not going to save any money by reloading. However you will shoot more. Dont get me wrong, I strongly suggest that you do it if its something you think you want to do.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Unless you already shoot an ungodly amount of rounds every month, you are not going to save any money by reloading. However you will shoot more. Dont get me wrong, I strongly suggest that you do it if its something you think you want to do.

There are other benefits - you can improve accuracy with handloads and load for difficult to find ammunition. And, loading your own ammunition is a great defense for times of ammo shortages.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There are other benefits - you can improve accuracy with handloads and load for difficult to find ammunition. And, loading your own ammunition is a great defense for times of ammo shortages.

And, as my 86 year-old Dad would say - "It keeps me out of the bowling alley !"

Apparently, in the 30s & 40s, a bowling alley was a well known den of iniquity.... and he was a pin-set boy, back before auto pinsetters.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
This^^^.

I started with an RCBS Rock Chucker kit back in the early 90's. I recommend this kit to anyone starting to reload. It comes with everything you need except the components. Mine also included a Speer Manual. As others have said - read and understand the manual before attempting to handload. I still use that Rock Chucker press to this day for precision rifle loads and for depriming before cleaning the case with SS pins. ThenRoxk Chucker is built like a tank and will last a lifetime. All other metallic cartridge loading is done with an RCBS Pro 2000 progressive press.

Regarding shotshells, the standard beginner setup is a MEC 600 jr; it's a great single stage press. I still occasionally use my 600 jr for hunting loads. But, for the 4K or 5K Registered Skeet targets I shoot each year, the MEC 9000 progressive presses for 12, 20, 28, and .410 are hard to beat.
my daughters got me the RCBS Rock Chucker Kit for Christmas and my birthday one year. I would recommend the Rock Chucker Press as a starting press.

Latest posts

Top Bottom