Starting out reloading

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tloudy

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Awesome thank you guys for the great info! Do you guys have any preference on powder? And is there a place in town that I can stop by and shop around, Or is it gonna be best to shop online? Sorry for the late responses, work has me pretty wrapped up right now.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Popular with blackout is H110 and CFEBlack and lil gun and such. I personally use H110.
I havent loaded 9mm in forever but in 40 Ive gone to CFE Pistol and I really like it. I dont know if it can be used in 9mm for sure but I think it can.
Powder and primers have to be bought at the store because hazmat and shipping will kill you if you order it. H&H has more reloading stuff than anywhere else that I have personally been. And dont always think the salesman knows what hes talking about. Just like the kid at autozone is not a mechanic.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Awesome thank you guys for the great info! Do you guys have any preference on powder? And is there a place in town that I can stop by and shop around, Or is it gonna be best to shop online? Sorry for the late responses, work has me pretty wrapped up right now.
Gene Sears in Yukon used to have a ton of stuff, but haven't been there in many years, might check them out.

LinearZero

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I picked up the Lee classic turret, and removed the indexer rod from it. All dies for a caliber in an easy to load disc, single stage action throughout. Keeps it simple and convenient.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I picked up the Lee classic turret, and removed the indexer rod from it. All dies for a caliber in an easy to load disc, single stage action throughout. Keeps it simple and convenient.

This is a big reason why I recommend the Lee Turret for beginners. Put the indexer in when you want for higher capacity for plinker rounds, remove for single stage operation. It's cheap up front, versatile, and cheap to add calibers.

I keep the Dillon progressive set up for .223, 9mm, and .38 bulk ammo, then run odd calibers or specialty loads of the aforementioned calibers on the Lee Turret. For higher quality/precision rifle ammo I have a couple single stage presses.

The Lee doesn't compete with true progressives, I see it as more of a stepping stone or a complement to the progressive.

I'm simply not going to invest the money into setting up the progressive for .45 acp, .44 mag, .357 mag, .300blk etc, but I want to load them more efficiently than the single stage allows.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was assembling my powder trickled last night and it said to take apart and clean the packing residue completely off with the one shot case lube and cleaner let dry and reassemble wouldn't this leave residue also?

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was assembling my powder trickled last night and it said to take apart and clean the packing residue completely off with the one shot case lube and cleaner let dry and reassemble wouldn't this leave residue also?

I don't think Case Lube will leave much of a residue. After drying, I would wipe it out with a used dryer cloth to remove any static.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This^^^.

I started with an RCBS Rock Chucker kit back in the early 90's. I recommend this kit to anyone starting to reload. It comes with everything you need except the components. Mine also included a Speer Manual. As others have said - read and understand the manual before attempting to handload. I still use that Rock Chucker press to this day for precision rifle loads and for depriming before cleaning the case with SS pins. ThenRoxk Chucker is built like a tank and will last a lifetime. All other metallic cartridge loading is done with an RCBS Pro 2000 progressive press.

Regarding shotshells, the standard beginner setup is a MEC 600 jr; it's a great single stage press. I still occasionally use my 600 jr for hunting loads. But, for the 4K or 5K Registered Skeet targets I shoot each year, the MEC 9000 progressive presses for 12, 20, 28, and .410 are hard to beat.

Best MEC single stage is the sizemaster. A little more money than the 600, but the collet resizer makes it worthwhile.

Latest posts

Top Bottom