1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.
  2. All members receive 3 free listings a month. Get unlimited listings for just $10 a year! Click here for all the info.

Starting to think of a .22lr suppressor--what say you?

Discussion in 'NFA & Class III Discussion' started by sumoj275, Mar 5, 2011.

1. sumoj275

sumoj275 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I have limited play time on a surpressed .22lr. A few years back people were liking the YHM models. Well I have about talked myself into one. What do you guys have, like, dislike, etc. Like I said, starting to get a feeling here.
    Thanks

2. 338Shooter

338Shooter Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I wouldn't buy a YHM .22 can. They are pretty loud compared to the others on the market.

3. 88gmchog

88gmchog Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    i dont know i played with one on a p22 a month ago and liked it. matter of a fact i have a yhm myte on order. base model cause i was on a budget

4. tyromeo55

tyromeo55 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    The simple fact with any can is that it costs "X" to get into one and every DB is exponentially more money. For me and lots of people like me the YHM is more then adequate for a screw on can. Money spent on better cans is wasted if not in an integral setup

Just me 2 cents...

5. Honeybee

Honeybee Sharpshooter

Sent off my $ for my SOT and plan to start with 22 cans and internal 10/22 supressed barrels.

Want to try some of my designs and see how quiet I can make them.

6. GlocksInMySocks

GlocksInMySocks Sharpshooter

I'm actually in the process of buying a .22 can. My main criteria were cleanable and quiet, so i got it down between the new surefire can, AAC element and the silencerco sparrow. The kodiak is also an awesome can, but I want to buy from a bigger company that I know will be around for a very long time. I didn't really pay attention to the YHM cans because they're about 10 db's louder than then afore mentioned cans. So with a 22 can at 130, that's bordering on not hearing safe. Seriously though, there are .45 cans that are quieter than YHM's stainless 22 can.

I'd rather buy a quality can once than be pissed later on down the road that I didn't spend the money now.

<edit> a lot also depends on whether or not it's going on a pistol or a rifle. I'm only putting mine on a pistol, so that's all i've paid attention to. Also, from what i've seen data on, the top tier screw on cans preform quieter than the integrals. However, this might change when AAC comes out with their new integrals this year. I would read up on silencertalk.com, silencerresearch.com, and nfatalk.com

7. Glocktogo

Glocktogo Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Silencerco Stainless Steel Sparrow. All the great features of the original Sparrow and it's dippable for cleaning.

Major has great prices on them.

8. Honey Badger

Honey Badger Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Tac 65 all the way. Affordable, fun and just good clean fun. $199.00 from the Major.

9. 338Shooter

338Shooter Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Sorry to disagree Ty, but you're not going to save a lot of money buying a cheaper .22 can. I mean, the top of the line is only around $500 and you can get dang good cans for ~$400 (SilencerCo SS Sparrow). What are the Mites now $200 for the bottom of the line Al version? If you think about total cost with the stamp and tax you're looking at $632 for a very well made can that is a top performer or $416 for basically the bottom of the pile. There are a lot of form 1 cans that are quieter than the Mite. I'm all for being price conscious, but when you get to the range and your .22 can is four times as loud as the guy that only spent $200 more that $400 is going to seem like a waste. Every 6dB louder a suppressor is, the sound pressure doubles or is twice as loud.

I'm sure people are perfectly happy with their Mites and Tac-65s, but they kinda have to be. They're stuck with the purchase basically for life. When considering .22 cans, I can't see any reason not to throw in the extra change and get one that will be a top performer for years to come. .22 cans aren't getting any quieter any time soon. They'll only get smaller and lighter while maintaining the sound pressure levels we're at now.

I wouldn't call ~$216 dollars difference an exponential increase in cost to get one of the best .22 cans on the market.

That's just my $0.02.

10. blackknight22

blackknight22 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Like most things from what I have seen, you get what you pay for. I have a hard time telling anyone to pay a $200.00 transfer tax for a $200.00 can.

While the SWR, Gemtech and AAC cans cost more, they offer far greater performance for the money spent. I may have to save longer to buy the better product, but at least I do not have to "wish I had purchased" wiser.