Starting to think of a .22lr suppressor--what say you?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColtDogg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have the Gemtech OutBack II and love it. I almost sold it once I got my Full Auto but I talked with Gemtech and they did say it will hold up to my Full Auto AR with a .22 kit. I have looked at some of the cans for $199.00 to $500.00 and the OutBackk II is a mid price can and I think its just as good as the $500.00 cans.

The bad... The OutBack II will not come apart. But like the guys as Gemtech told me, it dose not need to. Also once you get it you can send it back to get re-baffled and just tell them to fix it to where you can take it apart and they will. I spent a lot of time with them on this.

Here is a link I did on some Gemtech cans.

http://www.okshooters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93011

Good luck.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry to disagree Ty, but you're not going to save a lot of money buying a cheaper .22 can. I mean, the top of the line is only around $500 and you can get dang good cans for ~$400 (SilencerCo SS Sparrow). What are the Mites now $200 for the bottom of the line Al version? If you think about total cost with the stamp and tax you're looking at $632 for a very well made can that is a top performer or $416 for basically the bottom of the pile. There are a lot of form 1 cans that are quieter than the Mite. I'm all for being price conscious, but when you get to the range and your .22 can is four times as loud as the guy that only spent $200 more that $400 is going to seem like a waste. Every 6dB louder a suppressor is, the sound pressure doubles or is twice as loud.

I'm sure people are perfectly happy with their Mites and Tac-65s, but they kinda have to be. They're stuck with the purchase basically for life. When considering .22 cans, I can't see any reason not to throw in the extra change and get one that will be a top performer for years to come. .22 cans aren't getting any quieter any time soon. They'll only get smaller and lighter while maintaining the sound pressure levels we're at now.

I wouldn't call ~$216 dollars difference an exponential increase in cost to get one of the best .22 cans on the market.

That's just my $0.02.

Yea no hard feelings, Maybe I'm just odd but for me I really just needed a beater can that is hearing safe to pop paper or my shootin' gallery without hearing protection. It's a tool not an investment and will never be worth near what I paid for it. I have zero intention of ever cleaning it and whenever it goes to the crapper I'll turn it into a paper weight. To me it might as well be a Dorito' They'll make more

Now. the S&H 77/22. is another story. As far as I'm concerned it is THE best way to silence a 22lr and made by a legend in the NFA industry. I did pay a premium to get that

GlocksInMySocks

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry to disagree Ty, but you're not going to save a lot of money buying a cheaper .22 can. I mean, the top of the line is only around $500 and you can get dang good cans for ~$400 (SilencerCo SS Sparrow). What are the Mites now $200 for the bottom of the line Al version? If you think about total cost with the stamp and tax you're looking at $632 for a very well made can that is a top performer or $416 for basically the bottom of the pile. There are a lot of form 1 cans that are quieter than the Mite. I'm all for being price conscious, but when you get to the range and your .22 can is four times as loud as the guy that only spent $200 more that $400 is going to seem like a waste. Every 6dB louder a suppressor is, the sound pressure doubles or is twice as loud.

I'm sure people are perfectly happy with their Mites and Tac-65s, but they kinda have to be. They're stuck with the purchase basically for life. When considering .22 cans, I can't see any reason not to throw in the extra change and get one that will be a top performer for years to come. .22 cans aren't getting any quieter any time soon. They'll only get smaller and lighter while maintaining the sound pressure levels we're at now.

I wouldn't call ~$216 dollars difference an exponential increase in cost to get one of the best .22 cans on the market.

That's just my $0.02.

My thoughts exactly. a 130db .22 can is a massive waste

88gmchog

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i know that the mite i bought is one of the cheaper cans u can get but i didnt need the quietest thing out there either. likewise it was one the first of many cans, with 7.62 5.56mm and one more 22 to name a few maybe a 9 and 45 but i dont know yet. yes i tried one out on my p22 and found it made a hell of a difference, no its not movie quiet but on my 10 22 im sure it will be quiet and even more quiet on the bolt guns we have at the house. yea i got what i paid for but it can be taken apart to clean and i dont have to buy the tool its included. all in all im happy with it.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yea no hard feelings, Maybe I'm just odd but for me I really just needed a beater can that is hearing safe to pop paper or my shootin' gallery without hearing protection. It's a tool not an investment and will never be worth near what I paid for it. I have zero intention of ever cleaning it and whenever it goes to the crapper I'll turn it into a paper weight. To me it might as well be a Dorito' They'll make more

Now. the S&H 77/22. is another story. As far as I'm concerned it is THE best way to silence a 22lr and made by a legend in the NFA industry. I did pay a premium to get that

Well, if you don't plan on cleaning it you could get a sealed unit like the AAC Pilot and have a pretty sweet can for the money. Definitely quieter than the Mite.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Guys I have a Tac 65 and I'm telling you, that little joker is quiet. I have not been disappointed one bit, and have not regretted spending the money. For MY purposes the Tac 65 does the trick. I don't shoot it alot, I don't hunt with it, I don't really think about it unless I am in the safe digging a weapon to go shoot with. I just plink on occasion. I more wanted it as an investment. It has been a fun little gizmo. It does what I need it to do. Just my .02.

Latest posts

Top Bottom