State Highway Funding explained

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
According to the first post, it took 65 days to get the I-40 bridge across the Arkansas back in commission after a barge took it out. It's amazing what can get done when you can throw cubic dollars at a problem.
And have a willingness to get something done quickly. That is why people don't like transportation upgrades, the zero sense of urgency to get a job completed. Bring out the cones, then let it sit unattended, understaffed or just take years to get completed.

Someone commented on I-35 in OKC. My brother joined the Air Force and was assigned to Tinker in 1991 and they were working on 35 when we would come see him in Moore. It did not end until they completed the Norman construction a year or so ago. How is that acceptable?

I heard Traber (the one time I listened to him in three or four years) on the Sports Animal complaining how the new east OKC turnpike that just opened was narrowed to one lane each way for construction. You freaking kidding me? The thing just opened and they are closing lanes for construction.

Get the contact, show urgency for the citizens and get the work done. That is all I ask.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, road construction is easy when you don’t have to worry about existing traffic or businesses. This is why it takes long when you do. How many restraints or other small businesses can survive no traffic for 3 to 6 months? Examples of SF rebuilding interstates or the I40 bridge collapse are what happens when you dont have to deal with traffic.

i got to build two bridges in Shawnee while in college, dealing with traffic and keeping it flowing made us much slower. One was on i40, and the other was across a creek on MacArthur.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And have a willingness to get something done quickly. That is why people don't like transportation upgrades, the zero sense of urgency to get a job completed. Bring out the cones, then let it sit unattended, understaffed or just take years to get completed.

Someone commented on I-35 in OKC. My brother joined the Air Force and was assigned to Tinker in 1991 and they were working on 35 when we would come see him in Moore. It did not end until they completed the Norman construction a year or so ago. How is that acceptable?

I heard Traber (the one time I listened to him in three or four years) on the Sports Animal complaining how the new east OKC turnpike that just opened was narrowed to one lane each way for construction. You freaking kidding me? The thing just opened and they are closing lanes for construction.

Get the contact, show urgency for the citizens and get the work done. That is all I ask.
Exactly. The HWY 60 bridge in Ponca over the Arkansas River had issues with the concrete cracking away from the expansion joints causing pot holes.
Repairs started over a year ago and are still ongoing. No businesses in the area to worry about. I cross that bridge twice a day or more. There have been months where zero people were working on the bridge. It just sits there with no work being done.
The answer to that is to change the bidding process.
Introduce bonuses to complete the job early or fines if construction/repairs take over the allotted time of the contract taking into account enviromental/weather issues that prevent work from happening.
When these companies start paying a thousand dollars a day in fines, they will hire a few more people and get the job done early or onetime.

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hwy 37 between Marlow and Bray has been under construction for well over a year. Nothing ever progresses, they just have one or two people working with 10 miles of barrels and reduced speed limit.

Latest posts

Top Bottom