Steel case ammo

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is a torture test with rates of fire that I'll never sustain, but they still are relative to each other. No steel for me...

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/
I can count the number of steel cased rounds I've shot on one hand and have fingers left over.
Just never thought saving a buck was worth it after hearing similar reports over the years.

I'll continue to roll my own, and be happy with it.

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
@Shadowrider , AWESOME article, thank you. I will now keep my steel ammo in the safe room and buy federal and simply reload. The zero FTF/FTE is truly impressive and that is the name of the game. I simply equated steel cased ammo to my AK platforms and their ability to eat them like candy. I will keep the Tula for the zombies and the Federal I will purchase for real every day use. True eye opener for me. Thanks again.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Still waiting till I get time to go west for knowledge

I know you're working a lot. Most any time is good for me. Friday is date night, and that is sacred with the boss. Saturday mornings are for shooting matches. Being retired, most of the rest of the time is scheduled by others, but I like it. Sitting around doing nothing is not for me. Enjoy the company and playing around with the toys in the shop.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@Shadowrider , AWESOME article, thank you. I will now keep my steel ammo in the safe room and buy federal and simply reload. The zero FTF/FTE is truly impressive and that is the name of the game. I simply equated steel cased ammo to my AK platforms and their ability to eat them like candy. I will keep the Tula for the zombies and the Federal I will purchase for real every day use. True eye opener for me. Thanks again.
You haven't seen that vid before?

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nope, I never even thought of it. Been shooting steel through the AKs for so long, I just assumed the ARs could eat it as well. I done did lerned somtin today!
Ahhhh well, the only difference in shooting steel in a AK and AR is the 5.56 case is straight walled. The tapered case on 7.62 and 5.45 make it easier to extract. A 5.45 AR will eat steel cases just fine. The extractor wont hold up as well as a AK extractor but those are cheap

Those bi-metal bullets wreak havoc on both AR and AK barrels. ComBloc countries used to replace barrels often.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, after reading this article. I will shoot steel case ammo, save $1500 over ten thousand rounds and expect 10-15 malfunctions per 10k.
I have no time to reload and probably never shoot 10k thru a single AR. New barrels are cheap.

Latest posts

Top Bottom