steel cased ammo in m1a?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jestik

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why can't you shoot steel-cased ammo in your M1A? What's the difference, and what is the problem?

And is it a real problem, or one that just exists in the heads of the gun-owners?

farpoint

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Was at Outdoors America one day whilie the doors were still open. A young gent came in with his standard M1A he had just bought. Said he was at H&H to break the gun in. The rifle was having problems with repeated jamming. He'd bought some Hornady Steel Match to feed it. J.K. the smithie checked the gun out and couldn't find anything wrong with it.
All he could think of was the rifle didn't like the ammo.

Surveyor1653

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haven't seen this answer so here goes:

The only hesitation i have with steel cased ammo is the copper washed steel jackets. I've never checked barrel prices to see if the offset in ammo cost justifies rebarreling an M1A, but I've got to think it is cost prohibitive.I'll shoot steel case in my ARs all day because I can rebarrel a couple of times and still be ahead. With the quantity of inexpensive 7.62 factory ammo in brass with an all copper jacket, I'll stick with that instead for my M1A.

Dozermonkey

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why can't you shoot steel-cased ammo in your M1A? What's the difference, and what is the problem?

And is it a real problem, or one that just exists in the heads of the gun-owners?

Take a look at The M14 Forum. These people can answer these questions better than I can. The most knowledgable men on the planet when it comes the m1a/m14. Good luck and have a good day.

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've used it. No problems that I can see. I normally use brass but I have a quantity of steel set aside for 'just-in-case'. It's an economical way to set up for the next big panic.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well you would be very surprised by what companies use a copper washed steel jacketed bullet. Winchester white box, all G.I. M 80 ball ammo. Most ball ammo from almost all manufacturers in the U.S. Just grab a small magnet and check. You will be shocked at all the brass case "quality" ammo that does use a steel jacketed bullet.

Surveyor1653

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well you would be very surprised by what companies use a copper washed steel jacketed bullet. Winchester white box, all G.I. M 80 ball ammo. Most ball ammo from almost all manufacturers in the U.S. Just grab a small magnet and check. You will be shocked at all the brass case "quality" ammo that does use a steel jacketed bullet.

So, I did. No magnetic attraction was found in anything I had on hand. Granted, it's not all US manufacture. This still has me intrigued, though. I'm going to keep running this down and see what I come up with.

FWIW, I tested the following using a fairly strong telescoping tool magnet against a small split washer and 69gr Wolf WPA ammo as control:
PPU 147gr M80 clone (Foreign)
ZQ1 150gr FMJ (Foreign)
'88 South African battle pack surplus (Foreign)
Hornady 150gr FMJ bullets (US)
GI 147gr pulled M80 ball bullets (US)

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Looking at a box of brand new (still on the shelf) Winchester white box 7.62 NATO, a buddy said "That stuff's got steel in the jacket of the bullet." I couldn't believe it, until he pulled out a magnet and showed me.
FWIW, I was also surprised to look at the head stamps of the cases, and there was brass from different years ('10 and '11) in the same 20 round box.

Latest posts

Top Bottom