Steel challenge/at steel challenge school me please.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What is the scoop on these two at the okc gun club. What do I need to have, and what do I need to know.

I grazed through the material on the calendar link so I have a tiny bit of info. I'm assuming the steel is pistol only and the ar is the same thing but for the ar rifle platform.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can't use centerfire high power rifles like .223 and bigger. They would damage the steel.
Most shooters shoot .22 rimfire pistol, centerfire pistol, Pistol Caliber Carbine (PCC) AR style rifles that shoot 9mm, or .22 rimfire rifles. Tube fed rimfire rifles are not allowed.
Stages have 5 steel plates of different sizes that are set up at different distances. At the beep of the timer, you shoot the 5 steels as fast as you can. One plate is designated as the stop plate and is the last one shot. Thats when your time stops.
Scores are developed by how fast you shot it and if you had any misses.
If you shoot .22 rimfire pistol, you will only be competing against others shooting .22 rimfire pistol, the same with the other pistol and rifles.
You can shoot two different guns at the same match. I shoot .22 rimfire pistol, and .22 rimfire AR style Rifle.

gfercaks33

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Awesome thank you!

Another question now if you can't use .223 why is there an ar match? It seams as a .22 or 9mm ar match is very specific.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Awesome thank you!

Another question now if you can't use .223 why is there an ar match? It seams as a .22 or 9mm ar match is very specific.

It's on a different range. The sanctioned SC match is on the pistol bays on the east side of the property. The distances for the ARSC are out to 500 yards IIRC. Don't know that they shoot near as many rounds either. I haven't shot it, but it does sound fun and have been meaning to.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's on a different range. The sanctioned SC match is on the pistol bays o the east side of the property. The distances for the ARSC are out to 500 yards IIRC. Don't know that they shoot near as many rounds either. I haven't shot it, but it does sound fun and have been meaning to.
I haven't looked at the OKCGC schedule, but doesn't their AR Steel challenge on the long bay take place the same day we shoot USPSA?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't looked at the OKCGC schedule, but doesn't their AR Steel challenge on the long bay take place the same day we shoot USPSA?

Well you had me wondering and I just did look. They are the 4th Saturday. But I do seem to remember it conflicting with something I shot so IDK. Maybe it's been moved.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A question for Dennis:

At the Ponca club rimfire steel challenge matches,,,
Do you have to use lead ammo?

Or may you use copper washed Mini-Mags?

Aarond

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A question for Dennis:

At the Ponca club rimfire steel challenge matches,,,
Do you have to use lead ammo?

Or may you use copper washed Mini-Mags?

Aarond

Mini Mags are acceptable at Ponca City and all ranges I've ever shot Steel Challenge at. They are actually one of the more commonly rounds I've seen used at the matches.

Latest posts

Top Bottom