Steel Challenge @ OKCGC 3-12-16

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No apology needed. I'm new to theses as well but it looked like the deck was stacked against you. The number of new shooters shooters on your squad, my observation has been .22s seem to have more malfunctions, usually there are minor delays when shooters are shooting multiple guns, sharing same guns, and rifles take a bit longer to get ready and back to safe and bagged. It is much like the shooting string itself, all the little things add up. Don't let it discourage you. Look at all of the places you can pick up 5-10 seconds in getting ready just like you look for a tenth or two when the buzzer goes off. You could tell you guys picked up the pace considerably after the first few stages.

andrsnsm

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You are correct about .22's having more malfunctions. It is really important to find out what ammo any gun likes to be fed but that is particularly important with .22's. I find CCI Mini-Mags to work the best in all my .22's and will not use anything but Mini-Mags if possible. Clearly it is hard to find these days but when I do find it I buy it. I shot the entire match yesterday without a single failure from my Ruger MK III.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You are correct about .22's having more malfunctions. It is really important to find out what ammo any gun likes to be fed but that is particularly important with .22's. I find CCI Mini-Mags to work the best in all my .22's and will not use anything but Mini-Mags if possible. Clearly it is hard to find these days but when I do find it I buy it. I shot the entire match yesterday without a single failure from my Ruger MK III.

CCI Mini-mags have always been my go-to ammo for my .22s as well. I want to start bringing a .22 to the Steel Challenges as well and had better start stocking up. I may have to beg my brother to give up some of his stash to me. I'm still trying to figure out which gun I want to shoot. I'll have to gather a few magazines up to survive 5 strings before I bring one out.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Our squad may have been slow but I still had fun. It was nice to meet you guys.
It was great meeting you and Jeff out there as well, and you saved our bacon as far as ammo goes. We seriously miscalculated our ammo needs for this event. Won't be doing that again [emoji1] (miscalculation that is).

Hopefully next time out we'll have our malfunction issues taken care of and we'll be able to run smoother.

JeffT

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Our squad may have been slow but I still had fun. It was nice to meet you guys.

Slow or not we had fun! It was a good squad! and bring your 15-22 next time!

Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly, Shoot Well, Leave the Rest to God.

JeffT

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It was great meeting you and Jeff out there as well, and you saved our bacon as far as ammo goes. We seriously miscalculated our ammo needs for this event. Won't be doing that again [emoji1] (miscalculation that is).

Hopefully next time out we'll have our malfunction issues taken care of and we'll be able to run smoother.

It was a great squad, we had fun sharing ammo and ringing steel!

Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly, Shoot Well, Leave the Rest to God.

Dr_Mitch

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This was actually the first time I shot two guns. It was pretty hectic because I had three shooters between guns. Next time I'll make sure I shoot one right after the other so I can load all mags and then get back to helping run the stage.

Being separated by a few shooters between guns was too much.

Latest posts

Top Bottom