"Step Up Oklahoma" says they can solve OK financial woes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
it is not the distance that would be the issue, I rode a bus for 45 minutes to school. The issue is the ethnic makeup of the districts. If you only had one school, it would be easy. However, if you had lots of schools with different ethnic populations, you would have to balance them.

I guess I'm not understanding, why is that required? It's not that way in Enid now among the elementary schools. Enid has a large Marshalles and Hispanic population, they mostly live on the east side, and are in the east side elementary and one of three middle school "districts" within the district.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I'm not understanding, why is that required? It's not that way in Enid now among the elementary schools. Enid has a large Marshalles and Hispanic population, they mostly live on the east side, and are in the east side elementary and one of three middle school "districts" within the district.
Hispanics are white.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No, I don't fail to understand that......and I don't blame them if they can make a better living somewhere else. I actually think they have a pretty good deal considering they only work 10 months out of the year, but, if Oklahoma doesn't pay what they can make in Texas....maybe they should move to Texas.

What you seem to fail to understand is that I'm not against teachers, I'm not against paying them a competitive salary........I am against all the whining, moaning and protesting they do.

I have a nephew who is a radiology tech in the Dallas area.......he is from Oklahoma and would rather live and work here, but he made the choice to live and work there because Texas requires radiology techs to be licensed and Oklahoma does not.......consequently, radiology techs earn a much higher salary in Texas. He didn't get on TV and whine or go to the state capitol to protest the salary for radiology techs in Oklahoma, he loaded up his belongings and his family and moved to Texas. I can respect that.

Do you have kids in the school system currently?

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hispanics are white.

Thread derail ahead, but this touches on something I've spent considerable time studying, going back 30 years or more. So here goes...

Hispanic isn't a race, it's an ethnicity. Not all Hispanics are white and not all whites are Hispanic. Hispanics may be white, black, or any other combination of racial mixing. Hispanic just means descending from Spain, just as Latino means having descended from Latin America.

Race is rapidly becoming irrelevant from a genetic standpoint. Only in very isolated tribal regions will you find much in the way of racial purity. Even then, human DNA mapping will eventually redraw racial lineages and erase many perceived boundaries. There are already studies suggesting that Mesoamericans may have descended from Polynesia, American Indians descend from Eurasian lineage, Aboriginals from Africa and so on.

Iranians may have more in common genetically with Germans than Arabians, yet the western civilizations tend to lump all middle eastern tribes together despite the fact that they despise each other on a near genetic level. As race becomes less and less well defined, people seem to be searching for something to anchor their existence to. Many fall back on ethnicity, despite the likelihood that they have almost nothing in common with the origins of their ethnic roots in their day to day lives.

How many Hispanics in America have ever even been to Spain? If you know someone who identifies as Hispanic who wouldn't be offended, ask them if they could tell the difference between a Criollo, Peninsular, Mestizo or Cholo? Don't be surprised if they can only identify one in four, and even then probably not be able to explain why from an ethnic standpoint. If you can delve further, ask them to explain why Basques and Catalonians are in serious conflict with Castillian Spain.

The reasons many Hispanics identify as "white" probably has more to do with Celtic and Roman influence than anything else, but most would be hard pressed to make the connections. Many people just feel a need to belong to a group, even if their actual identity within the group is tenuous or has nothing to do with the basis of the group other than some long lost connection over a millennia ago. In many cases though, strong cultural, ethnic or racial identity causes people to be less inclusive of others they perceive as "different".

One thing is for certain though, race blends far more readily than culture. The conflicts we have today are far more cultural than racial or ethnic. JMO, YMMV

the federal government counts them as Caucasian on the census.

Yeah, I wouldn't stake my position on what the .gov says about this, or much of anything else either. :(

Pokinfun

Special Hen
Reaction score
Thread derail ahead, but this touches on something I've spent considerable time studying, going back 30 years or more. So here goes...

Hispanic isn't a race, it's an ethnicity. Not all Hispanics are white and not all whites are Hispanic. Hispanics may be white, black, or any other combination of racial mixing. Hispanic just means descending from Spain, just as Latino means having descended from Latin America.

Race is rapidly becoming irrelevant from a genetic standpoint. Only in very isolated tribal regions will you find much in the way of racial purity. Even then, human DNA mapping will eventually redraw racial lineages and erase many perceived boundaries. There are already studies suggesting that Mesoamericans may have descended from Polynesia, American Indians descend from Eurasian lineage, Aboriginals from Africa and so on.

Iranians may have more in common genetically with Germans than Arabians, yet the western civilizations tend to lump all middle eastern tribes together despite the fact that they despise each other on a near genetic level. As race becomes less and less well defined, people seem to be searching for something to anchor their existence to. Many fall back on ethnicity, despite the likelihood that they have almost nothing in common with the origins of their ethnic roots in their day to day lives.

How many Hispanics in America have ever even been to Spain? If you know someone who identifies as Hispanic who wouldn't be offended, ask them if they could tell the difference between a Criollo, Peninsular, Mestizo or Cholo? Don't be surprised if they can only identify one in four, and even then probably not be able to explain why from an ethnic standpoint. If you can delve further, ask them to explain why Basques and Catalonians are in serious conflict with Castillian Spain.

The reasons many Hispanics identify as "white" probably has more to do with Celtic and Roman influence than anything else, but most would be hard pressed to make the connections. Many people just feel a need to belong to a group, even if their actual identity within the group is tenuous or has nothing to do with the basis of the group other than some long lost connection over a millennia ago. In many cases though, strong cultural, ethnic or racial identity causes people to be less inclusive of others they perceive as "different".

One thing is for certain though, race blends far more readily than culture. The conflicts we have today are far more cultural than racial or ethnic. JMO, YMMV

Yeah, I wouldn't stake my position on what the .gov says about this, or much of anything else either. :(
I always thought it was funny in Iraq, when I would see a redheaded Iraqi.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Frontier School serves Marland and Red Rock area.
Frontier is the richest school district in Oklahoma. Twenty or so graduating seniors. Used to be 5-6 before merging with Marland. They go to Hawaii or places like that for the senior trip. (no state funds involved)
Sooner Power Plant taxes make it so.
The only school in Ok that has a football stadium with no team. The facility is amazing.
OKC school district in Nichols hills which used to be the richest sue'd Frontier for money as their schools with an aging demographic, and few newcomers needed money.
Courts said hell no. They didn't send their money when it was flowing to other parts of the state.

Pokinfun

Special Hen
Reaction score
Unless they're Mexican. That get's you half Hispanic, half Native American. Heck, I think just due to that little bit of genetic makeup, most Mexicans are more Native American than the majority of the "roll" people. Maybe they should get benefits too.
You know, I am half American Indian. I am pretty sure you just insulted me for being an Indian.

Latest posts

Top Bottom