Steps to becoming a certified instructor?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maverick1911

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knew the ins and outs to becoming a certified instructor through the state? I am an instructor for my agency but it does not carry over through the state.....

Maverick1911

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am seriously considering it....doesn't seem to be too complicated or cost prohibitive from what I've heard. Just my wife's friends alone who are interested in getting their carry permits would cover my expenses. Thoughts?

prdator

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am seriously considering it....doesn't seem to be too complicated or cost prohibitive from what I've heard. Just my wife's friends alone who are interested in getting their carry permits would cover my expenses. Thoughts?

few things id consider.

1 do you have a range to do the live fire at,
2, do you have a class room you can use.
3 Never count on "friends" to sign up.. they want to right up to scheduling..

as to Who to get certs thougth the NRA ( two days of your life you'll never get back) or the Rangemaster class ( three days you'll remmeber for a long time )

Maverick1911

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes and yes it the first two. Honestly, the money isn't an issue....I take a lot of pride and comfort knowing that I can take a person who has never handled a weapon and familiarize, educate, and empower them. Especially women who are maybe intimidated by the idea of a gun. I can't tell you how many I have taught that by the end of the day they wanted to know when they could shoot again. It would be nice to have the state credentials to be able to certify based on the required guidelines....also, there is a glitch in the federal system that retired agents must be certified by an instructor of the state in which they live. I have had several guys whom I instructed that will call me after retirement fir an annual recertification and I end up having to send them dun the road.

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm a little confused. You said you're an instructor for your agency but not a state instructor? Maybe I'm reading it wrong. Are you a CLEET certified LE firearms instructor?

Maverick1911

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm a little confused. You said you're an instructor for your agency but not a state instructor? Maybe I'm reading it wrong. Are you a CLEET certified LE firearms instructor?

I am a certified instructor for a federal law enforcement agency.....not cleet certified. In reading the first set of requirements it seems that my certification carries over if I send in the certificate and cash, of course.

Josh-L

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ah ok. Not sure if it carries over but it should if that ridiculous NRA class "certifies" people. I am CLEET and yeah all you do is fill out the form and pay your cash. I was like you and did it cause several family and friends wanted it. I'd do more if I had a regular place to teach....

Latest posts

Top Bottom